[comp.dcom.telecom] $4K T-1 for real?

statton@bu-cs.bu.edu (04/20/89)

Well, I'm no expert in x-continental T-1 pricing (I just have to
figger out how many I want ... not how much they'll cost), but I
suspect that sattelite based circuits will get cheaper and cheapr.
They're all but useless for voice communications, because of delay
(and related echo) problems, but for hacker-based networks, they'd be
really winning.  With more and more traffic being moved to fiber based
networks, I see sattelite channels being given away in boxes of
cereal.

Scott

chip@vector.dallas.tx.us (Chip Rosenthal) (04/22/89)

statton@bu-cs.bu.edu writes:
>Well, I'm no expert in x-continental T-1 pricing [...]
>but I suspect that sattelite based circuits will get cheaper and cheaper.

The bottom is falling fast on terrestrial T1 lines.  AT&T dropped
their rates a little while ago, and MCI just followed suit.  From
the April _Data_Communications_

	Fixed Term Plans:

			1year	2years	3years	4years	5years
	Per circuit:	5880$	5880$	5880$	5880$	5880$
	Per mile:	 171$	 142$	 142$	 123$	 123$

Personally, I think anybody who signs on the line for that 5-year
plan must be nuts.
--
Chip Rosenthal / chip@vector.Dallas.TX.US / Dallas Semiconductor / 214-450-5337