[comp.dcom.telecom] Dangerous Phone Trick Shouldn't Work

kg19+@andrew.cmu.edu (Kurt A. Geisel) (04/21/89)

An unnamed acquaintance of mine at an unnamed university [not this one]
kept telling me about this trick he was using to make all his long distance
phone calls.  At first, I didn't believe him at all because it sounded like
there was no way it would work.  But, he is quite persistant at boasting about
this trick and a friend confirmed that he is actually doing it.  Then,
I began to tell him it was a dangerous anomoly and he should stop
now before it catches up with him.  Anyway, here is how it goes:

1)  Place a call from a pay phone, but go through the long distance
operator and tell them that you want to charge to number x.

2)  Give them the number of another payphone.

3)  Have friend answer the payphone and agree to accept charges.

4)  The call goes through (!) and presumable the payphone gets "charged"!

Now, it would seem to me that the operator would be able to see right
away that the number to charge to was a payphone.  It shouldn't work
unless this service branch is surprisingly ignorant.  Furthermore, after
doing for months, the phone company should eventually realize
that this bills are going into the ether...

Is this for real?  Will they ever find out?  Will this misguided person
get a mysterious bill at the end of his college education for $50,453.23?
Has anyone heard of such trickery working?

- Kurt
Kurt Geisel                       SNAIL :
Carnegie Mellon University            65 Lambeth Dr.
ARPA : kg19+@andrew.cmu.edu           Pittsburgh, PA 15241
UUCP : uunet!nfsun!kgeisel  "I will not be pushed, filed, indexed, stamped,
BIX  : kgeisel               briefed, debriefed, or numbered!" - The Prisoner

dkrause@orion.cf.uci.edu (Doug Krause) (04/23/89)

If nothing else, the phone company could contact the person that
you called and say, "Who called you at 9:16pm on the 23rd of June?"

Douglas Krause                     CA Prop i:  Ban Gummie Bears(tm)!

University of California, Irvine   ARPANET: dkrause@orion.cf.uci.edu
Welcome to Irvine, Yuppieland USA  BITNET: DJKrause@ucivmsa

e118-ak@euler.berkeley.edu (e118 student) (04/24/89)

When I was in Australia in 1987, I placed a couple of calls to the US
billed either collect or third-number.  The Australian operator called
a US operator to do a "coin phone check" on the number billed.  My
impression was that this was a specific check not automatically done.
In short, the trick of calling from a pay phone and billing third-number
to another pay phone will work unless the operator does a coin check.
The most likely route to apprehending the person using this trick would
be to inquire of the person called whom they know in the area of the
origin of the call.  The closest it could come to airtight would be to
call from a payphone to a payphone billed to a third payphone.

nao@bellcore.bellcore.com (N Ostroff) (04/24/89)

In volume 9, issue 141, message 2, kg19+@andrew.cmu.edu (Kurt A. Geisel)
describes how to make free long distance phone calls by calling collect
from pay phone A to a friend waiting at pay phone B.

About two years ago this scheme made headline news in New York
City.  It worked so well that NY Telephone disabled incoming
calls to pay phones while the problem was solved.  What made the
fraud possible was a change in pay phone NXX codes.  When fewer
pay phones existed, they all shared the same NXX codes.  Only pay
phones were assigned these numbers.  In this way, an operator
could immediately tell whether a collect call or third-party
billed call was being directed to a pay phone by checking
the NXX code - obviously the operator would say something
clever like, "I'm sorry, your call can not go through." when a
caller tried this trick.  However, NY Tel started numbering pay
phones with arbitrary NXX codes making it impossible for an
operator to differentiate between pay phones and regular phones
in NYC.  At least this was true until phone companies installed a
database to identify all phones unwilling or unable to accept
collect and third-party billed calls.  I'd be surprised if your
friend can still call from pay phone A to another person at pay
phone B.

Neil Ostroff
Bell Communications Research
UUCP : bcr!maestro!nao

pozar@toad.com (Tim Pozar) (04/25/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0141m02@vector.dallas.tx.us> kg19+@andrew.cmu.edu (Kurt A. Geisel) writes:
>1)  Place a call from a pay phone, but go through the long distance
>operator and tell them that you want to charge to number x.
>
>2)  Give them the number of another payphone.
>
>3)  Have friend answer the payphone and agree to accept charges.
>
>4)  The call goes through (!) and presumable the payphone gets "charged"!
>
>Now, it would seem to me that the operator would be able to see right
>away that the number to charge to was a payphone.  It shouldn't work
>unless this service branch is surprisingly ignorant.  Furthermore, after
>doing for months, the phone company should eventually realize
>that this bills are going into the ether...
>
>Is this for real?  Will they ever find out?  Will this misguided person
>get a mysterious bill at the end of his college education for $50,453.23?
     In this area, pay fone numbers used to start with a '9'
(ie. xxx-9xxx).  Operators would be able to identify pay phones
in this manner.  I imagine in this day and age of ESS systems,
that there must be some indication that a number is a payphone
since when I try to charge calls to another number from
payphones, the operator needs to get an ok from the charged
number, and when I do this from a private phone the operator
just puts the call through.

      I do know that when fradlent billing occurs, the phone
company will call the numbers that the caller called and ask the
people who called during those times to track the person down.
If this guy that is doing this, only did once or twice, he may
get away with it.  If he is doing this all the time, he will get
caught.

		      Tim

--
 ...sun!hoptoad!\                                     Tim Pozar
                 >fidogate!pozar               Fido:  1:125/406
  ...lll-winken!/                            PaBell:  (415) 788-3904
       USNail:  KKSF / 77 Maiden Lane /  San Francisco CA 94108

eboston@hpbsla.hp.com (Ed_Boston) (04/25/89)

Most operators can see that a phone number is a pay phone.  I the area that
I grew up in, all pay phones had a prefix of 978 or something like that.

Unless you saw your friend doing this, I wouldn't believe them.  If you have
seen them doing it, I would suggest that you talk to the person and tell them
to stop.  Also, let the phone company know how the person is doing thins.  I
AM NOT SUGGESTING YOU TURN THE PERSON IN SO NO FLAMES ABOUT IT!!  This would
be your choice.  It is people like this that keep our phone bills so high!

Ed Boston