[comp.dcom.telecom] Overseas 800/900 Access

Kenneth_R_Jongsma@cup.portal.com (04/26/89)

Regarding the question if overseas callers can reach 800 and 900
service (area code) numbers in the US. The answer is no. Since
800 and 900 service is mapped to an undialable trunk number,
there is no dialable equivilent. Now, there are a couple of
caveats: First: AT&T is offering a new 800 service for low
volume users where they will "forward" 800 calls to your basic
local number. Obviously, if you know the local number, you can
dial direct and pay the usual rates. Second: USA Direct is not
as direct as they advertise. I needed to call United Airlines
to reconfirm a flight from Austrailia. Since the local office
was closed, I thought "No Problem, I'll just call back to the
US and ask the AT&T operator to give me United's US 800 number.
I realize I will have to pay the overseas rate, but at least
they can connect me." Wrong. Even though AT&T advertises USA
Direct as getting connected to an AT&T operator _in the US_,
she stated she could not dial the 800 number. I had to get a
local Chicago number for her to dial.

Ken

AI.CLIVE@mcc.com (Clive Dawson) (04/28/89)

	From: Kenneth_R_Jongsma@cup.portal.com
	Subject: Re: Overseas 800/900 Access
	Date: Wed, 26-Apr-89 07:49:50 PDT

	Regarding the question if overseas callers can reach 800 and 900
	service (area code) numbers in the US. The answer is no. ...

This isn't quite correct.  AT&T has recently begun offering 800
service to callers from Mexico.

Clive
-------

e118-ak@euler.berkeley.edu (e118 student) (04/28/89)

{{{{ quoted text edited -chip }}}

>From: Kenneth_R_Jongsma@cup.portal.com
>Regarding the question if overseas callers can reach 800 and 900
>service (area code) numbers in the US. The answer is no. Since
>800 and 900 service is mapped to an undialable trunk number,
>there is no dialable equivilent. ...

"Can overseas callers reach 800 numbers?"  YES!  I have done it myself.
 From Australia, as a matter of fact, from a payphone in Hobart Airport.
I simply dialed 0011-1-800-XXX-XXXX and pumped in coins.  However, later
I was dialing an 800 number and figured on being on hold a while, so I
wanted to charge it to a US calling card number.  No go.  The operator
wouldn't even attempt the call, even though I told her I had dialed the
number myself successfully.

Moral of the story: sometimes machines are smarter than people.

-- Linc Madison = e118-ak@euler.berkeley.edu