[comp.dcom.telecom] New Jersey area code split

dmkdmk@uncecs.edu (David M. Kurtiak) (04/26/89)

I just heard on the radio this morning that New Jersey Bell will be
announcing an area code split for the north Jersey (201) calling area.
Appearantly, details are still being worked out, and a formal announcement
will be made this upcoming Monday, May 1st.  I'll post a summary once
this is made available.

Does anyone out here know of any details that can be passed along
*before* the official announcement??  (such as what the NPA will be,
cutover dates, boundaries?)  Thanx for any info. that can be shared!

Enjoy,

----
David M. Kurtiak
Internet: dmkdmk@ecsvax.uncecs.edu
BITNET: DMKDMK@ECSVAX.BITNET
UUCP: dmkdmk@ecsvax.UUCP  (rutgers,gatech)!mcnc!ecsvax!dmkdmk

msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) (04/27/89)

In 1991, area code 908 will be allotted to Central New Jersey.  The area
affected, according to the Star Ledger of 4/26/89, will be Union, Warren,
Middlesex, Hunterdon, Somerset, and Monmouth counties, along with part
of Morris County, and the part of Ocean County in the 201 area code now.
All of these areas are in the 201 area code.

This change will require 1+AC+number dialing between the 201 and 908 areas,
but the rates for these calls will not change.  This dialing change
includes local calls between area codes, which will be free, but will
require all 11 digits.

This will certainly affect UseNet, as many of the numbers for ATT sites and
Rutgers will be changing to the new area code.

An interim step, to alleviate the number shortage until the new area code
can be implemented, will be that beginning in October, calls to New York
and Pennsylvania from New Jersey, which can now be dialed with just 7 digits
will be required to use the full 1+AC+number.  Customers affected by this will
be notified in June.  This measure will free 24 exchanges, which should
suffice until the new area code is implemented.

Mark

ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (04/28/89)

Sure, being involved in the University communcations system, I immediately
called our NJ Bell Account Rep on this.  He really didn't have any more
details that I'd already read in the papers.

The boundry falls along the Morris and Union county lines in New Jersey.
Those counties and north remain 201, those south (and north of 609, which
doesn't fall along county lines) are in the new 908 area code.  The LATA
boundries remain unchanged (there are three in New Jersey, one covering
the 201 area code, and two more dividing the 609 into east (Atlantic)
and west (Delaware Valley) LATAs).  Cutover is to occur two summers
 from now.  As with other area code splits there will be a time where
both the old and new numbers will work.

One thing that hasn't fully been worked out yet is a few central offices
on the border.  There are a handful of distinct towns (political boundries)
that would be split by this.  Another interesting observation is that
this boundry cuts right through the heart of AT&T land.  The paper
noted that this will cause some substantial amount of money to be
spent just dealing with chaning half of their facilities numbers.
I suppose it is some kind of revenge on the part of the operating
company.

-Ron

rkh@mtune.att.com (Robert Halloran) (04/28/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0148m01@vector.dallas.tx.us> dmkdmk@uncecs.edu (David
M. Kurtiak) writes:

>I just heard on the radio this morning that New Jersey Bell will be
>announcing an area code split for the north Jersey (201) calling area.
>Appearantly, details are still being worked out, and a formal announcement
>will be made this upcoming Monday, May 1st.  I'll post a summary once
>this is made available.
>
>Does anyone out here know of any details that can be passed along
>*before* the official announcement??  (such as what the NPA will be,
>cutover dates, boundaries?)  Thanx for any info. that can be shared!

The article I read in yesterday's local paper said that the split will
occur 'in 1991'.  The new NPA will be 908, and will basically cover the
southern 'half' of the current 201 area (for the geographically inclined,
affected counties will be Warren, Hunterdon, Middlesex, Union, Monmouth
and Ocean, plus the southwest corner of Morris).  Counties remaining in
201 will be Sussex, Passaic, Bergen, Essex, Hudson and the majority of Morris.

NJ Bell will also start requiring area codes on calls into NY and PA
that have been considered part of NJ local calling areas.  This will
apparently take effect Oct. 2, and free up about 25 exchanges.

(all this is from a cover story in the Asbury Park Press of 4/27; any
inaccuracies can be attributed to them.)

						Bob Halloran
UUCP: att!mtune!rkh				Internet: rkh@mtune.ATT.COM
USPS: 17 Lakeland Dr, Port Monmouth NJ 07758	DDD: 201-495-6621 eve ET
Disclaimer: If you think AT&T would have ME as a spokesman, you're crazed.
Quote: "Well, if it wasn't Buckaroo Banzai, I'd say 'commit the man.'"
		 - where else?

cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) (04/28/89)

The word "local" was omitted in the reference to calls from NJ to Pa.
and NY state.  Also, there is a case where 11 digits are already required:
Suffern, NY, in area 914 and a local call from part of 201 area; I believe
the Suffern prefixes are 357 and 368, and there is 201-368 in existence as
well.  Does the coming change from xxx-xxxx to 1-NPA-xxx-xxxx for inter-
area local calls also affect:
1. calls between 201 and 609 areas
2. calls from 609 to Pa. (such as from Trenton, NJ to Morrisville, Pa.)
Recall that requiring 1 before areacode was done in 609, not just 201.