[comp.dcom.telecom] "Cancel Call Waiting" in IBT?

bill@apple.com (Bill Cerny) (04/23/89)

Do you have this service in Illinois Bell?  One of our associates
tells me this service is called "Modem Call Privacy," but I haven't
been able to confirm that yet.  And does IBT charge extra for this
feature?  Pac*Bell provides it free with Call Waiting; a logical way
to sell Call Waiting in the Silicon Valley I reckon.  8-)

--
Bill Cerny
bill@toto.uucp  (fax: 913-437-2600)

[Moderator's Note: Suspend Call Waiting is available throughout area 312
with the possible exception of the Morton Grove CO. It was not available
on those prefixes as of a year ago, but that may have changed. We use *70
to turn it on, and it disconnects itself when you hang up the phone. You
turn it on prior to dialing your call, as in '*70-123-4567'. If you have
three way calling you can also use it on calls you receive as well as at
anytime in the middle of a call. Just flash, get dial tone, and dial *70.
It clicks and you are automatically reconnected to the call in progress.
Obviously, without three way calling there is no valid reason for flashing
in the middle of a call (short of receiving another call), so flashing
won't work, ergo, turning on *70 in mid-conversation or for an inbound
call won't work without three way calling also installed.

One oddity here is that if you have two lines which hunt each other on
busy/no answer as I do, they will never hunt if you also have call-waiting,
since hunting requires that the line test busy, which it won't do. But
when I turn on *70, presto the line appears 'truly busy' and subsequent
calls get forced over to my second physical line. Neat!   PT]

pda@gatech.edu (Paul Anderson) (04/26/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0143m07@vector.dallas.tx.us> toto!bill@apple.com
writes:
>[regarding how to get the call-waiting disable feature]
>And does IBT charge extra for this
>feature?  Pac*Bell provides it free with Call Waiting; a logical way
>to sell Call Waiting in the Silicon Valley I reckon.  8-)

Funny how I first found out about it.  When I was in Florida, I had call
waiting but had not been using a modem.  Then one day I started using
a modem & had call waiting problems.  I got really hot under the collar
about it.  I also had 3 way calling, call forwarding and speed dialing.
None of which I was using.  SO, I called Ma Bell and said 'I want all
those <expletive> special features disconnected'.  And the response was,
"But why Mr. Anderson.  Don't you find those features extremely help-
ful?"  "No. I don't.  I am tired of my modem hanging up when call waiting
beeps!"  "Oh, Mr. Anderson, for special people like you, we have a code
that you can dial to keep call waiting from interrupting your modem
use.  Would that help?"  Would that help?!  Well, suffice it to say, that
upon threat of disconnecting all special features, Ma Bell was only
too glad to give me a 'free' extra service.   So, I guess my response to
you would be that you shouldn't have to pay for it.   :-)

paul
--
Paul Anderson                           "But Why?"
gatech!stiatl!pda                       "Because they tried to make it

brent@gatech.edu (Brent) (04/28/89)

    Here in Atlanta, *70 does work at no extra charge.  The documentation
for it is in the first section of the white pages, under "custom calling
features".  I'll admit, though, you have to look to find it.

            brent laminack (gatech!itm!brent)

wheels@watmath.waterloo.edu (Gerry Wheeler) (04/29/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0143m07@vector.dallas.tx.us>, it says
| [Moderator's Note: Suspend Call Waiting is available throughout area 312
| with the possible exception ...
| ... If you have
| three way calling you can also use it on calls you receive as well as at
| anytime in the middle of a call.
| Obviously, without three way calling there is no valid reason for flashing
| in the middle of a call (short of receiving another call), so flashing
| won't work

The CO's in this area just recently added the *70 feature to cancel call
waiting.  Bell Canada sent a notice in the bill that month.  They
mentioned the ability to flash and cancel call waiting on an incoming
call too, but I don't think there was any implication that three way
calling was necessary.  I haven't tested it, though, so I (or they)
could be wrong.
--
     Gerry Wheeler                           Phone: (519)884-2251
Mortice Kern Systems Inc.               UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!wheels