[comp.dcom.telecom] Charges for busy signal when using modem?

11TSTARK%GALLUA.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Timothy Stark) (04/18/89)

[Moderator's Note: Due to some errors in transmission, the message which
follows was received somewhat garbled. I have reconstructed it. PT]

Hello Telecom Users:

   Last weekend, at RELAY server, Phantom talked with me about charging
for busy signals when using modem. Phantom was hit by a high bill because
of busy signals. He told me that: If voice-to-voice, they will not charge
busy signals; If modem-to-modem, they will charge busy signals. I get
very angry with Phantom's telephone company. At my local company they do not
charge me for voice or modem for busy signals. What are the FCC regulations
about busy signals? Is charging for busy signal unlawful? I will appreciate
any responses. Thanks!

-- Tim Stark

Timothy Stark          |   Bitnet:      11tstark@gallua.bitnet           VMS
Gallaudet University   |   Internet:    11tstark@gallux.gallaudet.edu    UNIX
P.O. Box 1453          |   GEnie:       T.STARK1
Washington, DC 20002   |   People/Link: OCS130
U.S.A.                 |   QuantumLink: TimS18
Earth                  |   "Gallaudet University is the only university for
Solar System           |    the deaf in the world."
Milky Way              |
The Known Universe     |

rosso@uunet.uu.net (Ross Oliver) (05/03/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0137m03@vector.dallas.tx.us> 11TSTARK%GALLUA.BITNET@
cunyvm.cuny.edu (Timothy Stark) writes:

>   Last weekend, at RELAY server, Phantom talked with me about charging
>for busy signals when using modem. Phantom was hit by a high bill because
>of busy signals. He told me that: If voice-to-voice, they will not charge
>busy signals; If modem-to-modem, they will charge busy signals.

Since the calling modem is silent until the answering modem
sends its pilot tones, how could the phone company know
whether a busy signal was an attempted modem or voice
connection?

Ross Oliver
Technical Support
The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.

tel@cbnewsh.att.com (thomas.e.lowe) (05/08/89)

>>   Last weekend, at RELAY server, Phantom talked with me about charging
>>for busy signals when using modem. Phantom was hit by a high bill because
>>of busy signals. He told me that: If voice-to-voice, they will not charge
>>busy signals; If modem-to-modem, they will charge busy signals.
>Since the calling modem is silent until the answering modem
>sends its pilot tones, how could the phone company know
>whether a busy signal was an attempted modem or voice
>connection?

And even if tones were sent, the phone company would have to be eavesdropping
on the line to determine if it is a modem or voice.

This sounds like it would be illegal.

--
Tom Lowe    tel@hound.ATT.COM or  att!hound!tel     201-949-0428
AT&T Bell Laboratories, Room 2E-637A

klb@lzaz.att.com (K.BLATTER) (05/09/89)

> Phantom talked with me about charging for busy signals when using modem.
> He told me that: If voice-to-voice, they will not charge
> busy signals; If modem-to-modem, they will charge busy signals.
>
> Since the calling modem is silent until the answering modem
> sends its pilot tones, how could the phone company know
> whether a busy signal was an attempted modem or voice
> connection?

The long distance company can't tell (nor should they care!) whether
the call was dialed by a modem or by voice (it's identical).  The
caller was probably using some low-budget long distance company which
charges for calls that aren't completed.

Kevin Blatter
AT&T - Bell Labs

Disclaimer:  My employer never told me what it thinks, why should it
care what I think?