[comp.dcom.telecom] HELP!! With phone lines

dv@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (David W. Vezie) (05/07/89)

I have a problem.  I have a lot of phone lines going into our
computer room, and I have no idea what the some of numbers are.
There was a number (760-7760) which would tell me what number
I was calling from.  However, since the Pa Bell upgrade last
February, that number hasn't worked.

Can anyone tell me what the new number is?  I'm desperate!
       David W. Vezie, Systems Hacker  |              +1 415 662 1222
              Lucasfilm Ltd            | dv%pixar@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
 "I support Star Wars (tm),            |{pacbell!unicom,well}!r2d2!dv
    it's SDI that I can't stand"  --Me |   {sun,ucbvax}!pixar!r2d2!dv

[Moderator's Note: After mailing this message to me -- during last week's
on again, off again mail service -- Mr. Vezie got through to me and said
to please include a note that the number he mentions in his message is
(was?) only for the area in California where he is located.  PT]

jad@dayton.UUCP (J. Deters) (05/12/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0158m04@vector.dallas.tx.us> pixar!unicom!dv@ucbvax.
berkeley.edu (David W. Vezie) writes:

>I have a problem.  I have a lot of phone lines going into our
>computer room, and I have no idea what the some of numbers are.
>There was a number (760-7760) which would tell me what number
>I was calling from.  However, since the Pa Bell upgrade last
>February, that number hasn't worked.

In our area, (Minneapolis, St. Paul - 612, and in other areas I have
done work in, 511 is the standard readback number.

-j

turner@seismo.css.gov (James Turner) (05/12/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0158m04@vector.dallas.tx.us> pixar!unicom!dv@ucbvax.
berkeley.edu (David W. Vezie) writes:

>I have a problem.  I have a lot of phone lines going into our
>computer room, and I have no idea what the some of numbers are.
>There was a number (760-7760) which would tell me what number
>I was calling from.  However, since the Pa Bell upgrade last
>February, that number hasn't worked.
>
>Can anyone tell me what the new number is?  I'm desperate!

For some reason, people seem to delight in searching for these
numbers, when there is a much simpler solution to their problem.

When I was working in NY, I had a similar problem (multiple lines
with unknown numbers). I simply hooked up a handset to the line
and dialed the closely kept secret telephone company number, "0".
When the operator came on the line, I explained that I needed
to know the number of the phone I was calling from. She read me
the number off the TSPS console. End of story.

[Moderator's Note: That may be the end of your story, but many telecom
participants, myself included, have found that normally the operator will
NOT say what number the call is coming from. The rule is they aren't
supposed to do it, for various security reasons.  PT]