[comp.dcom.telecom] NPA 903 assigned to NE Texas

covert%covert.DEC@decwrl.dec.com (John R. Covert) (05/11/89)

It was just announced that those portions of 214 outside Dallas will be
changed to 903 in the Fall of 1990.

With 708 assigned to Chicago, 903 assigned to Texas, and 908 assigned to
New Jersey, only 909 and 917 remain to be assigned before the format changes.

/john

telecom@eecs.nwu.edu (TELECOM Moderator) (05/12/89)

In issue 160, John Covert writes that area code 903 has been assigned to
NE Texas.

He then notes that area 708 has been assigned to Chicago, however
this is not correct. Chicago will remain in area 312. 708 has been assigned
to all parts of northern Illinois which were formerly in 312 and not in
815.

He also notes that only two area codes remain unassigned before the supply
of 'traditional' area code numbers is exhausted, and area codes begin to
take a different format.

My question is this: with the numerous three digit codes which are currently
not in use which at least resemble, or 'look like' what area codes have
always looked like, why are not those numbers being used first, before
completely departing from tradition?

For example, numbers like 310, 311, 511, 300, 400, 500, 600. While
they do not conform exactly (never before two zeros in a row on a regular
area code; never two ones in a row; when one is the second digit then the
third digit is always two or more, etc...)  but they still look enough
like area codes that they would be more palatable to people than what I
have heard is going to happen, using numbers like '689' or '327' which
don't even closely resemble areas.

Some time back when I said that the numbers 410,510,610,710,810,910 were
unavailable as area codes since they were used by Western Union, I got
almost hissed off the stage. If they are *not* out of circulation,
then howcome they wouldn't be more suitable as area codes than what I'm
told Bellcore is going to pass off on everyone?

Patrick

argyriou@violet.berkeley.edu (Anthony Argyriou) (05/13/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0160m06@vector.dallas.tx.us> covert%covert.DEC@decwrl.
dec.com (John R. Covert) writes:

>It was just announced that those portions of 214 outside Dallas will be
>changed to 903 in the Fall of 1990.

>With 708 assigned to Chicago, 903 assigned to Texas, and 908 assigned to
>New Jersey, only 909 and 917 remain to be assigned before the format changes.

>/john

 PacBell announced a while ago that Alameda and Contra Costa counties were
being split off of the 415 (San Fransisco) area code, but haven't announced
a number for the new area. Giving us 909 isn't too good, being adjacent to
707 (CA North Coast + Solano Co.). 917 is worse, because some of Contra
Costa County is adjacent to 916 (Sacramento Valley). Those of us here thought
that we'd get 903, because it was most unlike the nearby area codes.
(708 and 908 are similar to 408, Santa Clara Co and south).
 How do they choose these numbers? Who chooses? Why did Dallas suburbs
get 903? Is either 909 or 917 unsuitable there?

Anthony Argyriou

egs@u-word.dallas.tx.us (Eric Schnoebelen) (05/15/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0162m02@vector.dallas.tx.us> Anthony Argyriou
<argyriou@violet.berkeley.edu> writes:

- covert%covert.DEC@decwrl.dec.com (John R. Covert) writes:

- >It was just announced that those portions of 214 outside Dallas will be
- >changed to 903 in the Fall of 1990.

-  How do they choose these numbers? Who chooses? Why did Dallas suburbs
- get 903? Is either 909 or 917 unsuitable there?

        Well, I just talked to our tariff folks, and 903 is not being
assigned to the Dallas suburbs ( unless you consider Tyler a suburb of
Dallas :-) According to our tariff folks, it will be the Longview lata (
544 ) and probably portions of the Houston lata ( 560 ) and the Dallas
lata ( 552 ). Geographically, I have been told it will go from Tyler
east to the state line, and south from the state line to a someplace
south of Palestine.

	As to what area codes are suitable in this area, well Fort
Worth ( the unheard of half of Dallas/Ft. Worth ) is in the 817 area
code, as well as nearly everything else west of Dallas.  Even Waco on
the south, and Denton on the north are in area code 817.  That probably
makes 917 unsuitable..  About 909, I don't know.  Maybe Southwestern
Bell made it to Bellcore before Pacific Bell. :-)

--
Eric Schnoebelen,			JBA Incorporated, Lewisville, Tx.
egs@u-word.dallas.tx.us				...!killer!u-word!egs