[comp.dcom.telecom] A Message To Usenet Readers of the Digest

chip@vector.dallas.tx.us (Chip Rosenthal) (05/16/89)

telecom@eecs.nwu.edu (TELECOM Moderator) writes:
>Since last week, copies of the Digest have not been making it through to the
>Usenet gateway for some reason. [...]  My own control copies of the Digest are
>only sporadically making it through to my mailbox at chinet [...]

Hi Patrick.  Normally I only bother comp.dcom.telecom readers with USENET
administrivia, but I would guess that the TELECOM Digest has been really
impacted (is that a verb?) by the problems the last few weeks, and the
mailing list readers must be wondering too.  So, I pass along the gruesome
details to them too.

The short story is that there were some big problems here at
vector.dallas.tx.us.  These problems have been resolved, and based on the
last week of traffic the link is now reliable.  However, one of the fixes
requires manual intervention in the gateway processing, and therefore,
will add about a day to the turnaround time.

The long story is that there were two problems here.  The first was that
until two weeks ago, vector.dallas.tx.us was running a version of XENIX with
a crufty version of uucp.  This version had a tendency to throw away
messages if the line disconnected, which happens frequently here.  The
solution has been to: (1) upgrade to a newer version of XENIX with HDB
uucp which doesn't throw things away, and (2) install a Trailblazer modem
which does a much better job with bad lines.

The second problem was that the program which automatically drops the
mailed digest into the gatewaying program started to instead drop them
into a black hole.  The resolution here was to drop them into my mailbox
instead, and manually process them from there.  Unfortunately, this means
that manual intervention is required, and adds some delay to the processing.
But I keep traditional hacker's hours, so the delay is usually well under
a day.  (This should be resolved in 2-3 weeks, when I upgrade to a new
mailer here.)

Anyway, things appear to be running once again.  I appologize for the
problems in the interim, and I appreciate yours and Patrick's patience.

So, what do you say we all go over to comp.lang.c, kick some butt, and
tell them what "#" is really called. :-)   (If you missed it, the pound,
number, square, octothorpe, tic-tac-toe argument has been going on there
for the past two weeks.)
--
Chip Rosenthal / chip@vector.Dallas.TX.US / Dallas Semiconductor / 214-450-5337