[comp.dcom.telecom] FCC computing device certification

LANGFORD@crc.crc.vcu.edu (05/18/89)

(this isn't telecom, but it _is_ FCC-related)

Can anyone tell me whether PCs MUST be FCC certified, or whether it's
optional?  I was talking to one company who said that certification was
pending for their machine, and that they were selling lots of them.  I thought
that it had to be certified before it could be sold.  Also, which class
of certification (A or B) is more restrictive?  (A co-worker and I disagree.)
What trouble could I get into if I run an uncertified or incorrect-class
machine at home?    Thanks.

             ...Bob Langford, Medical College of Virginia
             langford@crc.crc.vcu.edu

chip@vector.dallas.tx.us (Chip Rosenthal) (05/20/89)

LANGFORD@crc.crc.vcu.edu writes:
>Can anyone tell me whether PCs MUST be FCC certified

Certification under Part 15 is mandatory.

>I thought that it had to be certified before it could be sold.

I've heard of FCC people showing up at PC shows & trade fairs and shutting
down booths where folks are dumping cheap imports without certification.

>Also, which class of certification (A or B) is more restrictive?

Class B is much more restrictive.  It applies to consumer appliances.
Class A is industrial appliances.  The difference between the two is about
10 to 20 dB, depending upon the specific test and measurement frequency.

>What trouble could I get into if I run an uncertified or incorrect-class
>machine at home?

At the very least, the EMI-police can prevent you from operating it.
However, the seller of the equipment can come into some really big time
trouble.  From what I've seen, the FCC vigorously pursues reported and
discovered violations.

--
Chip Rosenthal / chip@vector.Dallas.TX.US / Dallas Semiconductor / 214-450-5337