[comp.dcom.telecom] MCI FAX Network

lars@salt.acc.com (Lars Poulsen) (05/20/89)

I just received a pretty, multi-colored brochure from MCI,
headlined "What a beautiful day for a revolution". The
revolution is that MCI now has "a dedicated FAX network". Is
this in the same sense that they have "dedicated customer
service", or do they really have a SEPARATE national
long-distance telephone network that exclusively carries FAX
traffic ?

It would seem to make no sense at all to maintain a dedicated
FAX network, when you already have a telephone network.

The brochures include a price list giving per-minute charges in
US mileage bands as well as internationally by country. I don't
have the MCI telephone price list hand; can I save this list and
use it as a price list for my MCI telephone calls ?
If the prices are different for phone and FAX, why ? If they are
lower than the phone prices, what's to stop me from pretending
my phone is a FAX ?

/ Lars Poulsen
ACC Customer Service
LARS@SALT.ACC.COM

dave@rutgers.edu (Dave Levenson) (05/21/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0170m04@vector.dallas.tx.us>, lars@salt.acc.com (Lars
Poulsen) writes:

> It would seem to make no sense at all to maintain a dedicated
> use it as a price list for my MCI telephone calls ?
> If the prices are different for phone and FAX, why ? If they are
> lower than the phone prices, what's to stop me from pretending

The fax network is actually a non-real-time (i.e. store & forward)
fax delivery service..  It will accept your fax traffic using a fax
modem.  I don't think it will hear your voice!  By compressing a lot
of fax traffic into high-speed data packets, they can send it to a
dis-assembly system near the destination and then re-sent from a fax
modem to the recipient's fax machine.  This makes it less expensive
than voice, but not interchangeable.

--
Dave Levenson
{uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave