[comp.dcom.telecom] Using "800" LD access from COCOTS

e118-ak@euler.berkeley.edu (Linc Madison) (05/15/89)

{{{ excessive quote edited to pass inews - chip }}}

>>From: black@ll-null.arpa (Jerry Glomph Black)
>Subject: Getting LD carriers from payphones
>
>3) What has failed in only the rarest of COCOT situations is to use
>   Sprint's LD service via the 800-877-8000 access.  A few of them shut
>   off the keypad's tone generator after the connection is made [...]

Try telling the Sprint operator, "I'm calling from a pay phone and the
owner doesn't want me to use Sprint, so my keypad is turned off.  Can I
get the lower rate?"  If Sprint has *any* sense at all, they'll happily
give you the lower rate.

--Linc Madison = rmadison@euler.berkeley.edu
	      or e118-ak@   "       "     "

rpw3@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Rob Warnock) (05/23/89)

e118-ak@euler.berkeley.edu (Linc Madison) writes:
+---------------
| >>From: black@ll-null.arpa (Jerry Glomph Black)
| >3) What has failed in only the rarest of COCOT situations is to use
| >   Sprint's LD service via the 800-877-8000 access.  A few of them shut
| >   off the keypad's tone generator after the connection is made [...]
| Try telling the Sprint operator, "I'm calling from a pay phone and the
| owner doesn't want me to use Sprint, so my keypad is turned off...

Or pop about $20 for the handy little (about 3.5" x 2" x 1") Radio-Shack
portable DTMF tone generator.  I keep one in my briefcase for *exactly*
this kind of situation. (Well... for controlling my home/office answering
machine remotely, but the same problem -- fascist COCOTs.)

Rob Warnock
Systems Architecture Consultant

UUCP:	  {amdcad,fortune,sun}!redwood!rpw3
DDD:	  (415)572-2607
USPS:	  627 26th Ave, San Mateo, CA  94403