[comp.dcom.telecom] Jack specifications

gmw1@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Gabe M Wiener) (05/12/89)

Hello netlanders.  We're about to put in a Merlin system.  Now as I understand
it, the Merlin takes an RJ-21X.  We're also putting in an automated alarm
system with a telephone hookup that takes an RJ-31X.  Qu'est-ce que c'est?
Can anyone tell me exactly what an RJ-31X is?  I know that an RJ-21X is one
of those rectangular connectors that can accomodate up to 25 (?) dialtones.

What about the RJ-31X?  Thanks.

-G

julian@seas.ucla.edu (julian macassey) (05/14/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0162m08@vector.dallas.tx.us>, gmw1@cunixd.cc.columbia.
edu (Gabe M Wiener) writes:
> Hello netlanders.  We're about to put in a Merlin system. Now as I understand
> it, the Merlin takes an RJ-21X.  We're also putting in an automated alarm
> system with a telephone hookup that takes an RJ-31X.  Qu'est-ce que c'est?
> Can anyone tell me exactly what an RJ-31X is?  I know that an RJ-21X is one
> of those rectangular connectors that can accomodate up to 25 (?) dialtones.

> What about the RJ-31X?  Thanks.

    OK, let's start with the RJ-21X, because it is not "one of those
rectangular connectors". The rectangular connectors are known as "Amphenol"
connectors, although they may also be made by Cinch, Amp or other people I
have not heard of. They are known in FCC Rules and Regulations Part 68 as
"50 Position Miniture Ribbon Plug". Now you know why they are called
"Amphenols"

    An RJ21X is a 66 block that is used as the "Demarcation Point". This is
the point at which the telco hands the lines over to the customer. This is a
"split" block using bridging clips so each line can be disconnected at this
point for trouble shooting and finger pointing. Most RJ21X blocks have an
Amphenol jack on the side so you can save time etc by plugging an Amphenol
plug in that leads directly to your PBX or Key system etc. This saves having
to run individual pairs for each of the possible 25 trunks. Most RJ21Xs have
less than ten trunks on them so usually the trunks are punched down with
regular wire. The RJ21X description in Part 68 states a few things which are
not common practice. It does not mention the 66 block and states that the
telco will consecutively wire the lines - not true with Pacific Bell, they
put them on any pair you state, i.e. PBX lines 1 - 15, FAX line 25, Modem
line 24. When Part 68 was written, the use of "RJ21X" as a demarcation
device was not common, hence their description of typical usuage "Traffic
Data recording equipment".

    An RJ31X is an 8 position jack with a few extras. They are used mostly
by alarm companies. When used by alarm companies, they are wired so that a
line runs through them in series. What this means is that the pins have
special shorting bars across them. For example: Tip comes in on Pin 5 and
via the shorting jack leaves on Pin 8. Ring comes in on Pin 4 and leaves on
Pin 1. Now when the alarm company comes along, they plug their alarm dialer
(The one that calls the alarm center or the fuzz) into the RJ31X. The
shorting bars are now lifted and Tip and Ring runs through the dialer. When
the alarm goes off, the dialer will disconnect the customer side of Tip and
Ring and dial out on the Telco side (Pins 4 & 5). Note: Many alarms sense
voltage on the line and if you randomly unplug the RJ31X, the alarm will go
off and make more noise than a heavy metal concert. Usually, you put the
alarm on the least used pair, often the last or your FAX line.

    Note that the RJ31X is an 8 position modular device, sometimes called a
"business jack". Regular phone jacks are 6 position modular devices. The
same jack will change its number depending its usage. When the same jack is
wired the same way, but used for an automatic dialer (Not an alarm dialer)
it becomes and RJ32X. When used with a "Data Set" (Modem) it becomes an
RJ36X. If it is for a modem with "programming resistors", but no shorting
bars, it becomes an RJ41S

    If you are feeling confused by now, don't worry. If you have to install
an RJ31X, they usually have instructions and drawings in the box. If all
else fails, you may be lucky to get an alarm installer who understands these
things.

Yours
--
Julian Macassey, n6are  julian@bongo    ucla-an!denwa!bongo!julian
n6are@wb6ymh (Packet Radio) n6are.ampr.org [44.16.0.81] voice (213) 653-4495

dave@rutgers.edu (Dave Levenson) (05/18/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0164m01@vector.dallas.tx.us>, ucla-an!denwa!bongo!
julian@seas.ucla.edu (julian macassey) writes:

>     OK, let's start with the RJ-21X, because it is not "one of those
> rectangular connectors"...

>     An RJ21X is a 66 block that is used as the "Demarcation Point".

Actually, the code RJ-21X refers to the "Amphonol" 50-pin miniature
ribbon connector, and not to the "66-block" with which it is often
associated.  In a "by the rules" RJ-21X installation, the customer
equipment is required to be attached by an "Amphonol" which mates
with one supplied by the telco.

In the real world, the RJ-21X provided by most telcos is connected
to a 66-block which contains the demarcation straps described in
Julian's posting, and is then connected the service-entrance cables
at the station-protector.  A lot of premises equiment installers
will punch down wire pairs on the telco 66-block, and ignore the
"Amphonol" provided.  I have one customer, however, where the
66-block is under lock and key, and the RJ-21X is the only connector
accessible to the customer.  (The installers promptly installed
their own 66-block and cabled it with an "Amphenol" to the '21X!)

--
Dave Levenson
{uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave

jbh%mibte.UUCP@mailgw.cc.umich.edu (James Harvey) (05/23/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0168m06@vector.dallas.tx.us>, westmark!dave@rutgers.
edu (Dave Levenson) writes:
> In article <telecom-v09i0164m01@vector.dallas.tx.us>, ucla-an!denwa!bongo!
> julian@seas.ucla.edu (julian macassey) writes:

>>     OK, let's start with the RJ-21X, because it is not "one of those
>> rectangular connectors"...

>>     An RJ21X is a 66 block that is used as the "Demarcation Point".

> Actually, the code RJ-21X refers to the "Amphonol" 50-pin miniature
> ribbon connector, and not to the "66-block" with which it is often
> associated.  In a "by the rules" RJ-21X installation, the customer
> equipment is required to be attached by an "Amphonol" which mates
> with one supplied by the telco.

This is true.  The customer is NOT supposed to use the punchdown
terminals.

> In the real world, the RJ-21X provided by most telcos is connected
> to a 66-block which contains the demarcation straps described in
> Julian's posting, and is then connected the service-entrance cables
> at the station-protector.  A lot of premises equiment installers
> will punch down wire pairs on the telco 66-block, and ignore the
> "Amphonol" provided.  I have one customer, however, where the
> 66-block is under lock and key, and the RJ-21X is the only connector
> accessible to the customer.  (The installers promptly installed
> their own 66-block and cabled it with an "Amphenol" to the '21X!)

This is the standard way of dealing with the Amphenhol (why do
people insist on calling it a 50 pin Centronics?) connector.

--

Jim Harvey                        |      "Ask not for whom the bell
Michigan Bell Telephone           |      tolls and you will only pay

ulysses!gamma!mibte!jbh