[comp.dcom.telecom] Cellular Phone & 911

ddodell@asuvax.asu.edu (David Dodell) (05/18/89)

I was curious if Enhanced 911 can pick up the phone number when you are
calling from a mobile phone (either cellular or IMTS)?   Or is this one of
those trunk line situations, where they can only identify that you are
calling from a mobile phone, BUT not the specific number?

David

               uucp:  {decvax, ncar} !noao!asuvax!stjhmc!ddodell
        uucp:  {gatech, ames, rutgers} !ncar!noao!asuvax!stjhmc!ddodell
    Bitnet: ATW1H @ ASUACAD                    FidoNet=> 1:114/15 or 1:1/0
                  Internet: ddodell@stjhmc.fidonet.org

dave@rutgers.edu (Dave Levenson) (05/21/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0170m05@vector.dallas.tx.us>, stjhmc!stjhmc.fidonet.
org!ddodell@asuvax.asu.edu (David Dodell) writes:
> I was curious if Enhanced 911 can pick up the phone number when you are
> calling from a mobile phone (either cellular or IMTS)?   Or is this one of

Here in NJ, I have called my office (we have Caller*Id Service) from
the car.  No calling number is displayed (it says: Out of Area).
When I dial 911, who I get seems to depend upon where the car is.
If I'm driving in New Jersey, I reach the NJ State Police.  When I
call from New York City, I get the NYC 911 operator.  While they may
not get my mobile number, they do make some use of the mobile
telephone system's knowlege of where I'm calling from, probably
based upon which cell site is handling the call.

The above applies to Cellular, using MetroOne in the NYC area.  IMTS
and other cellular systems may be different.

--
Dave Levenson
{uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave

rpw3@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Rob Warnock) (05/23/89)

westmark!dave@rutgers.edu (Dave Levenson) writes:
+---------------
| org!ddodell@asuvax.asu.edu (David Dodell) writes:
| > I was curious if Enhanced 911 can pick up the phone number when you are
| > calling from a mobile phone (either cellular or IMTS)?
| ...When I dial 911, who I get seems to depend upon where the car is.
| If I'm driving in New Jersey, I reach the NJ State Police.  When I
| call from New York City, I get the NYC 911 operator.  While they may
| not get my mobile number, they do make some use of the mobile
| telephone system's knowlege of where I'm calling from, probably
| based upon which cell site is handling the call.
+---------------

In the Bay Area, the CA Highway Patrol apparently likes the help it's been
getting from drivers with cellular phones... so now *all* cellular 911 calls
go directly to the CHP. If it's not a CHP-servicable call they re-route you to
the "appropriate" authority. Oddly enough, they seemed to consider a three-car
accident I reported on US-101 ("The Bayshore Freeway") to be a "local" matter;
they transferred me to the Palo Alto police!

I don't know if they have ANI or not. They do ask for your name and cellular
number (they know it's cellular), but that may be just for prank detection.
[Does anybody know if they have access to cell site?]

Rob Warnock
Systems Architecture Consultant

UUCP:	  {amdcad,fortune,sun}!redwood!rpw3
DDD:	  (415)572-2607
USPS:	  627 26th Ave, San Mateo, CA  94403

ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (05/23/89)

The more interesting question is which 911 operator you get
when you dial 911 from a cellular phone, since the cellular
coverage areas almost always span more than one 911-service
area.

My guess is that it's just handled by the MTS operator.

-Ron

kdb@uunet.uu.net (05/26/89)

I have had several occasions to use 911 from my cell phone.  On all of them I
might as well have not called.  It seems that, at least in the Metro DC area,
I always get Prince Georges County Police.  Even when I am in Virginia.  This
has caused no end of problems when I was trying to report a serious accident
on a little two lane highway that block both lanes.  I got routed to PG County
in Maryland who told me tough that I would have to get ahold of the proper VA
department, they didn't know who are even have a phone number for me to try.
Then I called the operator (a person who should know what the VA police's
number is) who ended up passing me off to PG County again.  After 20 minutes
of trying to be a good guy I gave up.  Went to a gas station and called it in
from there.  CellOne could do a better job of pointing calls in the correct
direction.  Oh well.