[comp.dcom.telecom] Area Codes and N10 style numbers

mjs1@bellcore.bellcore.com (Sonnier) (05/22/89)

>[Moderator's Note: But some readers have maintained, very vigorously, that
>since Western Union central offices are in no way connected with or wired
>through Bell central offices, their use of those numbers have no longer
>any bearing on area codes. I put those codes (410-510-610-710-810-910) in
>the master list of numerical area codes message run several months
>ago, and finally took them out. What is the definitive answer on this? Will
>someone from Bellcore or some other authoritative source please reply? PT]

While I am NOT AN EXPERT on network numbering, I do happen to have the
answer on a reference on my book shelf.  ALL possible disclaimers
obviously apply!

Quoting from Section 3 of "Notes on the BOC Intra-LATA Networks (1986)"
(Bellcore document TR-NPL-000275, Issue 1)

Paragraph 2.04
"[...] codes of the format N 0/1 X be used as NPA codes except for codes of
the format N11, which would be reserved as special functions.  This provides
a total of 152 area codes as follows. [...]"

Paragraph 2.06
"While most N 0/1 X codes are used for the purpose of designating a specific
geographical area known as an NPA, a few codes have been assigned for
special uses and are known as Service Access Codes (SACs)."

Paragraph 2.08
"Currently, there are four NPA type codes assigned in the NANP that are
included in the SAC designation.  These codes are: 700, 800, 900, and 610
(610 SAC is assigned in Canada for TWX service and is included in this
section for completeness. [...]) [...]"

Paragraph  4.05
"Currently, only 19 of the 152 usable NPA codes in the N 0/1 X format
are unnassigned."  [Note:  This is 3 year old data.  A couple of new
NPA codes have since been assigned.]  "Five of these 19 are of the format
N00, and seem better suited for use as Service Access Codes (SACs) than
for use as geographical NPAs.  Therefore, the codes 200, 300, 400, 500, and
600 have been reserved for use as SACs and will not be assigned as NPAs.
[...]"

So, the bottom line is that all N11 and N00 codes are reserved, for the
obvious reasons.  The N10 codes (except 610) are all included in the
unassigned codes.  This can be ascertained by looking at the tables of
assigned NPA codes, and see which 19 are not assigned.
The 610 code is (apparently) used in Canada, so is reserved.

---
Michael J. Sonnier @ Bellcore; Navesink Research & Engineering Center
Logical: [...]!bellcore!nvuxg!mjs1   |   Audible: (201) 758-5787
Physical: 331 Newman Springs Rd #2Z419; Red Bank, NJ 07701
Disclaimer:  How can you infer this is the opinion of my employer?
             I don't even know if it's mine yet!

[Moderator's Question: So does this mean codes 210-310-410-510-710-810-910
*will be* used as area codes or *won't be* used?  If not, why not? I think
the thing with 610 is that unlike here where Western Union operates the
telex machines, in Canada many (or all?) are run by the telephone people.
If those numbers, plus the two 'regular' left overs are still available,
then indeed it will be several years before we run out, no?   PT]

deej@bellcore.bellcore.com (David Lewis) (05/26/89)

]
] [Moderator's Question: So does this mean codes 210-310-410-510-710-810-910
] *will be* used as area codes or *won't be* used?  If not, why not? I think
] the thing with 610 is that unlike here where Western Union operates the
] telex machines, in Canada many (or all?) are run by the telephone people.
] If those numbers, plus the two 'regular' left overs are still available,
] then indeed it will be several years before we run out, no?   PT]

Will be used.  They're included in the list of unassigned codes; to
clarify what Mike said, the list of unassigned codes is the list of
legally-assignable but as-yet-not-assigned codes.

The same source Mike was quoting (Notes on the BOC Intra-LATA Networks
(1986)) estimates that the 152 available NPA codes will be exhausted in
1995.  At that time, it'll be necessary to go to NXX format NPA codes;
that also occupies several pages of Notes explaining what that'll be all
about.

David G Lewis		"If this is paradise, I wish I had a lawnmower."
Bellcore				     		    201-758-4099
Navesink Research and Engineering Center	 ...!bellcore!nvuxr!deej