[comp.dcom.telecom] Three or more phone lines in residence

tel@cbnewsh.att.com (thomas.e.lowe) (05/29/89)

I live in brand new development where all utilities are underground.
Our nearest telephone junction box is Three houses away.  (Should
have been right in front of our house, but they screwed up.  Seems
they forgot to put one there).  We have a two pair cable running
from the junction box to our Network Access box outside.  This limits
me to two phone lines, unless I want to have more cables pulled
underground.

Does anyone know if the phone companies (New Jersey Bell in my case)
have the ability to multiplex phone lines in a residential service?
I would need independant lines for modems, fax machines, etc.
Any ideas of pricing?  What's the service officially called?

I tried asking our business office, but they don't know their (BLEEP)
from a hole in the ground, and two different technicians didn't even
know what kind of switch we have here.  (One thought it might be a
Western Union switch ((Yes, Union, not Electric)))

Thanks for any ideas!
--
Tom Lowe    tel@hound.ATT.COM or  att!hound!tel     201-949-0428
AT&T Bell Laboratories, Room 2E-637A

ms6b+@andrew.cmu.edu (Marvin Sirbu) (05/30/89)

> I live in brand new development where all utilities are underground.
> Our nearest telephone junction box is Three houses away.  (Should
> have been right in front of our house, but they screwed up.  Seems
> they forgot to put one there).  We have a two pair cable running
> from the junction box to our Network Access box outside.  This limits
> me to two phone lines, unless I want to have more cables pulled
> underground.

In most jurisdictions, the telephone company is obligated by tariff to
provide as many lines as you want to your Network Access box for no more
than the standard turn-on charge per line, whether there are wires
already in place or not.  If they have to pull an extra wire, the cost
is averaged in with the costs of all the other hookups where they charge
you $50 for nothing more than making a few entries at a terminal to turn
on an existing line.  They may choose, of course, to multiplex (FDM or
TDM) several circuits on one wire if they decide that is cheaper.  My
guess, however, is that they will find it much less expensive to simply
pull a new wire from the junction box to your house, and that they will
do just that if you order a third line.

Marvin Sirbu
Carnegie Mellon University
internet:  ms6b+@andrew.cmu.edu
bitnet:    ms6b+%andrew@CMCCVB

john@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (John Higdon) (05/30/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0178m03@vector.dallas.tx.us>, tel@cbnewsh.att.com
(thomas.e.lowe) writes:
> Does anyone know if the phone companies (New Jersey Bell in my case)
> have the ability to multiplex phone lines in a residential service?

Trust me, you *don't* want that! It is known as "subscriber carrier"
and is General Telephone's answer to undercapitalization. They use a
device that multiplexes a second subscriber on a telephone pair by
means of a supersonic carrier. If you are the metallic subscriber,
there is little problem. If you are the carrier subscriber, your
telephone service isn't worth the powder to blow it up.

The unit is "phone line powered", which means that it sits there and
trickle-charges its nicads during the metallic subscriber's on-hook
periods. If he talks a lot, or the carrier subscriber gets a lot of
calls (the device has to supply ring voltage), the batteries run down
and phone service phades away. The audio is terrible, and there is no
loop current signaling for answering machines, etc.

I suspect that our various telcos (General being the worst) never
anticipated the "information age" and felt that planning for two drops
per housing unit would be more than adequate. Although no one at
Pac*Bell has said anything, I suspect that my nine lines have put
somewhat of a strain on the neighborhood facilities. My friends in
southern California (who are served by General Telephone) marvel, not
just at being able to get nine lines, but at the fact that they're all
metallic.

To the best of my knowledge, none of the BOCs have used subscriber
carrier. And for good reason.

> I would need independant lines for modems, fax machines, etc.
> Any ideas of pricing?  What's the service officially called?

The service you want is "enough pairs to serve your needs". You will
(probably) have to do a little trenching yourself, but it's the only
real solution.

At least until ISDN.
      john@zygot.uucp       | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !