[comp.dcom.telecom] Southern Bell dialing changes in 404 area code

scott@dtscp1.UUCP (Scott Barman) (05/25/89)

Southern Bell announced on Tuesday (5/23) that beginning October 2, all
long distance calls within the 404 area codes will require the caller to
dial the 404 after the 1 (i.e. 1-404-xxx-xxxx).  Southern Bell reports
that they are running out of central office exchages in the 404 area
becuase of an increase of 600,000 access lines (mostly in the Metro
Atlanta area).

It was reported that SB is doing this because it is a cheap, short term
solution and its a prelude to adding a new area code to the area (Metro
Atlanta will get its own area code).  Programming is in effect now that
will allow people to reprogram their auto-dialers and speed calling
numbers now.  Starting 10/2 calls will not go through and the caller
will get one of those wonderful (and usually ear-splitting loud)
recordings.

They are trying to put off the inevitable.  I understand that since I
was living in New York when they made Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten
Island area code 718.  Initially, it really can be confusing and
frustrating and I guess New York Tel. dropped a bundle in advertising.
--
scott barman
{gatech, emory}!dtscp1!scott

dave@rutgers.edu (Dave Levenson) (05/31/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0176m04@vector.dallas.tx.us>, scott@dtscp1.UUCP (Scott
Barman) writes:
(regarding the new area code in the Atlanta, GA area)...

> They are trying to put off the inevitable.  I understand that since I
> was living in New York when they made Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten
> Island area code 718.  Initially, it really can be confusing and
> frustrating and I guess New York Tel. dropped a bundle in advertising.

I read in the Newark NJ Star-Ledger that New Jersey Bell plans to
spend approximately $7Million on "consumer education" in preparation
for the new area code (908) coming to parts of Northern and Central
New Jersey in 1991.  (I think this includes reprinting the
directory, but they do that every year whether or not they're
changing the dial-plan, don't they?)

--
Dave Levenson (the man in the mooney)
{uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave