[comp.dcom.telecom] What's a local call?

blake@pro-party.cts.com (Blake Farenthold) (05/23/89)

I just signed up for Starlink, a service that is supposed to compete with PC
Pursuit.  Starlink uses Tymnet's Async Outdial service and offers off peak
(7p-6a) calls to BBSes or other online services for $1.50/hr plus phone
charges. (charges from the outdial modem)

The plus phone charges are what worry me.  If you access one of their outdials
and make a toll call you get hit with the toll.  By "toll" I'm refering not
only to typical 1+ long distance calls but the zone charges some phone
companys impose on "local" calls.

Starlink doesn't seem to know what calls are free from the outdial port and
what calls are not.  I would think Tymnet would have to know so they could
bill Starlink (who in turn bills the user) or there would be a HUGE billing
lag, but for whatever reason Tymnet isn't saying.  All the user knows is the
NPA-NXX of the outdial port.

Is there a way to find out whats a free call and what charges, if any, are
associated with a call from a remote area.

Starlink has made 3 suggestions all of which I don't like..

1) Go to the library and look at the phone books of ALL of the outdial
   citys and determine whats a local call.

2) Call the phone co. or operator in the remote city and ask... I have
   a great mental picture of trying to convince an operator to tell me
   what zone charges, if any are associated with calls to every NXX
   from some place other than where I'm calling from.

3) Ask the remote computers Sys Admin. if his site is a local call from
   NPA NXX (try this with a 15 year old BBS Sysop)

Any suggestions of how/where to get this information in a useable form?

This seems to me to be another good argument for the "if the calls gonna cost
you HAVE to put a 1 or 0 in front of the number (1-976, 1-512-... 011-44-01...)"
if the BOC's and independants would adopt this it would save lotsa people
lotsa headaches.. no more "I didn't know that 976 call cost $30" just teach
the kids not to dial 1+, like my mom did to me.
______

UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!blake
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-party!blake@nosc.mil
INET: blake@pro-party.cts.com

Blake Farenthold        | CIS: 70070,521        | Source: TCX023
P.O. Box 17442          | MCI: BFARENTHOLD      |  GEnie: BLAKE
San Antonio, TX 78217   | BBS: 512/829-1027     | Delphi: BLAKE

[Moderator's Note: Starlink was discussed in great detail here earlier this
year. See Vol. 9 Issues 37, 38, 49, 51 from the last days of January and
the first week of February. Also, Vol. 9 Issue 65 of February 17. Starlink
does not appear to be any bargain at all. Rather than worry about which
calls are local and which are toll, either sign up for PC Pursuit or use
Reach Out. Regretably, Starlink is more expensive and less economical than
either of these other two options. Telenet only charges $1 per hour
with no telco surcharge. Intrastate tolls from Starlink terminating modems
are frequently equal to or exceed, minute per minute, the charges for Reach
Out America. Read the issues mentioned and decide for yourself.  PT]

deej@bellcore.bellcore.com (David Lewis) (06/01/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0175m02@vector.dallas.tx.us>, blake@pro-party.cts.com
(Blake Farenthold) writes:

> This seems to me to be another good argument for the "if the calls gonna cost
> you HAVE to put a 1 or 0 in front of the number (1-976, 1-512-... 011-44-01)"
> if the BOC's and independants would adopt this it would save lotsa people
> lotsa headaches.. no more "I didn't know that 976 call cost $30" just teach
> the kids not to dial 1+, like my mom did to me.

The problem is that 1+ is recommended for use to distinguish 7-digit
dialed numbers from 10-digit dialed numbers where interchangeable NPA/office
codes are introduced (currently only a few locations; will eventually be
very widespread because of code exhaustion).  Some 10D calls are "local"
calls; some 7D calls are toll calls.

Example:  You live in Queens (NPA code 718) and are calling someone in
Manhattan, 212-NNX-XXXX.  It's a "local" call, though.  If 1+ means a
toll call, the switch has to have some other way of recognizing that
212NNXX is not a home NPA dialed number -- it has to wait and expect
more digits after the first 7.  So when you call someone in Queens, say
at 218NNXX, the switch has to wait four seconds or so in case you're
really dialing someone at 218-NXX-XXXX (your buddy in Minnesota).  If 1+
means a 10-digit dialed number, the switch can interpret the first
digit; if it's a 1, it leaves the tone generator on line until it gets
10D; if it's anything else, it takes the tone generator off line and
gets on with call processing after getting 7D.

David G Lewis		"If this is paradise, I wish I had a lawnmower."
Bellcore				     		    201-758-4099
Navesink Research and Engineering Center	 ...!bellcore!nvuxr!deej