[comp.dcom.telecom] Cellular Phone & E911

jjjs@cbnewsc.att.com (james.j.sowa) (05/25/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0173m05@vector.dallas.tx.us> westmark!dave@rutgers.edu
(Dave Levenson) writes:

>In article <telecom-v09i0170m05@vector.dallas.tx.us>, stjhmc!stjhmc.fidonet.
>org!ddodell@asuvax.asu.edu (David Dodell) writes:
>> I was curious if Enhanced 911 can pick up the phone number when you are
>> calling from a mobile phone (either cellular or IMTS)?   Or is this one of

This is from memory and may have changed but probably
not to much.

First of all E911 means two things:
1) an ability to route the calling number to the proper
serving PSAP. This means if one house has Police A and Fire
A and the next house has Police B and Fire A the 911 call
would go to the primary answerer (maybe police) in this
case both calls go to poilce A at the PSAP when it is
determined it is a fire call all the PSAP attendant will do is
press a button labeled fire and the call will route
correctly to the proper Fire department .

This function is now being applied to cellular as the next
author states.

>Here in NJ, I have called my office (we have Caller*Id Service) from
>the car.  No calling number is displayed (it says: Out of Area).
>When I dial 911, who I get seems to depend upon where the car is.
>If I'm driving in New Jersey, I reach the NJ State Police.  When I
>call from New York City, I get the NYC 911 operator.  While they may
>not get my mobile number, they do make some use of the mobile
>telephone system's knowlege of where I'm calling from, probably
>based upon which cell site is handling the call.

>The above applies to Cellular, using MetroOne in the NYC area.  IMTS
>and other cellular systems may be different.

>Dave Levenson

Call routing should be done on serving antenna instead of
cell since it would be a finer geographcal area to define.

2) After having the ability to transmit the calling number
to the PSAP. The PSAP will then do a database lookup the
interpret the ANI DN into an address of telephone of the
calling party. This information aids in dispatch,
redialing, aiding callers who don't know their location.

It is an open item today as what to transmit to a PSAP from
a cellular phone and how much information is needed at the PSAP
- calling number? 10 digits
- serving cell?   x digits

Besides, if the DN to address translation is done at the
PSAP from their database, how could they have all the
mobile DNs from all over their area translated into their
database. (much less updated.) How would they translate roamers?

					Jim

kaufman@polya.stanford.edu (Marc T. Kaufman) (05/26/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0176m03@vector.dallas.tx.us> "james.j.sowa" <jjjs@
cbnewsc.att.com> writes:

->First of all E911 means two things:
->1) an ability to route the calling number to the proper
->serving PSAP. This means if one house has Police A and Fire
->A and the next house has Police B and Fire A the 911 call
->would go to the primary answerer (maybe police) in this
->case both calls go to poilce A at the PSAP when it is
->determined it is a fire call all the PSAP attendant will do is
->press a button labeled fire and the call will route
->correctly to the proper Fire department .

The routing function is applied on a number-by-number basis, so that a single
exchange may have more than one primary answerer, if the exchange slops over
multiple jurisdictions (as many do).

In my area in California, we got Police and Fire from two different dispatch
centers, (because we use the county sheriff for police, and a neighboring city
for fire).  The sheriff put up quite a fight to get us to dispatch through the
county com center.  We finally prevailed, and now all calls go first to fire
dispatch.  This is because over 2/3 of all calls to fire are for medical aid,
and may be life threatening -- so we felt fire response time optimization was
more important.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@polya.stanford.edu)

dave@rutgers.edu (Dave Levenson) (05/31/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0176m03@vector.dallas.tx.us>, jjjs@cbnewsc.att.com
(james.j.sowa) writes:
> It is an open item today as what to transmit to a PSAP from
> a cellular phone and how much information is needed at the PSAP
> Besides, if the DN to address translation is done at the
> PSAP from their database, how could they have all the
> mobile DNs from all over their area translated into their
> database. (much less updated.) How would they translate roamers?

The mobile number is probably less useful than the approximate
current location of a mobile telephone.  If I see an emergency
situation while driving, I'd like to be able to report it to the
local authorities, not the PSAP who handles the home address
associated with the mobile number (which may be hudreds of miles
away!)

--
Dave Levenson (the man in the mooney)
{uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave

merlyn@agora.hf.intel.com (Randal L. Schwartz) (06/04/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0182m05@vector.dallas.tx.us> westmark!dave@rutgers.edu
(Dave Levenson) writes:

| The mobile number is probably less useful than the approximate
| current location of a mobile telephone.  If I see an emergency
| situation while driving, I'd like to be able to report it to the
| local authorities, not the PSAP who handles the home address
| associated with the mobile number (which may be hudreds of miles
| away!)

I differ.  I have called 911 roughly once a week since I received my
cell phone.  I have learned that all calls go to the Portland 911
office, no matter where I am, so it is a simple matter to ask for the
appropriate agency (State Police, XXXX County Sheriff, etc.).  If the
Portland 911 office doesn't handle dispatch for that agency, they just
push a button.

Now, they've always asked for my phone number, so I presume my number
is not showing on their boards.  (I know they can get the phone number
of a call from a landline phone, because they call people back, and the
local 911 operators did some stupid things with that info...).  Just
two days ago, I called to report a deer on the road (yes, this is Rural
America :-), and gave them a bad vector.  The 911 operator called me
back to resolve the inconsistant information.  But, suppose it had been
an emergency, and I didn't have time to give them the number, and then
got one of the infamous "cutoffs" that happen only when you don't want
them to. Yeah, I'd much rather have them have the cell phone number
than the cell antenna number.

-- Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095
quality software, documentation, and training at affordable rates
<merlyn@agora.hf.intel.com>  ...!uunet!agora.hf.intel.com!merlyn