[comp.dcom.telecom] How much do cellular phones cost to use?

eli@eecs.nwu.edu (06/01/89)

could any cellular phone users out there tell me how expensive it is
to use a cellular phone?  what are the different minimum rates, charges
per call, local calling areas??  (as you can tell, i have no concept
of the cost of using cellular phones -- the phone prices have gotten
low enough to attract my attention, though!)

-- Steve Elias
-- (eli@spdcc.com) or (eli@chipcom.com)
-- voice mail: 617 239 9406  [this number will change in June]
-- work phone: 617 890 6844

gws@cbnews.att.com (Gary W. Sanders) (06/02/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0184m02@vector.dallas.tx.us> chipcom.chipcom.com!
eli@eecs.nwu.edu writes:

>could any cellular phone users out there tell me how expensive it is
>to use a cellular phone?  what are the different minimum rates, charges
>per call, local calling areas??  (as you can tell, i have no concept

	Cellular phone prices vary with location. Around here, Columbus,Ohio
you can get cellular phone service for $15.00 a month, plus .35 min peak
(8am-7pm) and .25 min off peak. Phone cost also varies. There are several
local stores selling 3watt cellular phone for $50, but you must commit to 1
year phone contract with the local cel company. Most phones run $200+
depending on the gizmos and gagets you get.

--
Gary Sanders (N8EMR) gws@cbnews (w) gws@n8emr (h)
614-860-5965 (353-5965 cornet)

merlyn@agora.hf.intel.com (Randal L. Schwartz) (06/04/89)

writes:
| could any cellular phone users out there tell me how expensive it is
| to use a cellular phone?  what are the different minimum rates, charges
| per call, local calling areas??  (as you can tell, i have no concept
| of the cost of using cellular phones -- the phone prices have gotten
| low enough to attract my attention, though!)

Smirk.  Up here in the Pacific NorthWest, GTE Mobilnet sells me phone
service at the following rates:

$0.31/minute prime (7am-7pm weekdays)
$0.13/minute non-prime (all others)
$0.07/minute forwarded

and I only pay for actual connected time.

I hear the boys in that sunny state to the south don't have it quite
as cheaply or easily.

-- Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095
quality software, documentation, and training at affordable rates
<merlyn@agora.hf.intel.com>  ...!uunet!agora.hf.intel.com!merlyn