[comp.dcom.telecom] Info please...

morris@jade.jpl.nasa.gov (Mike Morris) (06/04/89)

I hear that in a few years, we'll be able to know the number of the
calling party before we pick up the phone.  How exactly will that work?

Will it be a squirt of modem tones between rings?
Or will it be when ISDN ("Innovations Subscribers Don't Need") comes
into the house, requiring me to junk the 1A2 system inthe basement (and
all the stuff I've got wired into it, like 4 amateur radio base stations,
intercom to all 9 rooms, plus 4 outside talkback speakers, and much more).

Can any body elaborate on what the plans are for the local loop?
I'm not asking for anybody to spill any beans on stuff not already announced,
just to let us know what to expect in the next few years.

Lastly, can anybody explain why the local BOC is charging MONTHLY for
a number assignment?   Background:  Several years ago I had 818-445-6453
as a second line in my parents house.  After about a year, I lost my job,
and to cut expenses had the number disconnected.  Several years later,
I inherited my parents house, and the number that we'd had since 1965.
When I moved in, I decide to put a 2nd number in the house for the computer
and the modem.  When I tried to get my old number back, I was told it was
available, but it would be an extra charge PER MONTH.  Knowing computer
systems, I know that assigning a specific phone number is no more work than
assigning a random one, but still I'd be willing to pay an extra $10 or so,
when placing the order.  BUT NOT EVERY MONTH!

   CAN ANYBODY EXPLAIN?    Or is it just seen as another cash cow to be milked?

US Snail:  Mike Morris                    UUCP: Morris@Jade.JPL.NASA.gov
           P.O. Box 1130                  Also: WA6ILQ
           Arcadia, Ca. 91006-1130
#Include disclaimer.standard     | The opinions above probably do not even

julian@seas.ucla.edu (julian macassey) (06/07/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0187m07@vector.dallas.tx.us>, morris@jade.jpl.nasa.gov
(Mike Morris) writes:
> Stuff asking how calling party ID CLASS stuff will work deleted.

> Lastly, can anybody explain why the local BOC is charging MONTHLY for
> a number assignment?   Background:  Several years ago I had 818-445-6453
> as a second line in my parents house.  After about a year, I lost my job,
> and to cut expenses had the number disconnected.  Several years later,
> I inherited my parents house, and the number that we'd had since 1965.
> When I moved in, I decide to put a 2nd number in the house for the computer
> and the modem.  When I tried to get my old number back, I was told it was
> available, but it would be an extra charge PER MONTH.  Knowing computer
> systems, I know that assigning a specific phone number is no more work than
> assigning a random one, but still I'd be willing to pay an extra $10 or so,
> when placing the order.  BUT NOT EVERY MONTH!

> CAN ANYBODY EXPLAIN?    Or is it just seen as another cash cow to be milked?

    Back in the "old" days, you could come up with a cutsey number,
especially one that spelt something when you used the numbers on the tone
pad and get the telco to assign it to you. So if you had a whore-house you
could ask to be assigned 438-5243 which spells out GET-LAID. If the number
was already assigned, you would have to do a deal with the owner of the
number and get them to relinguish it - or to be high tech, call forward it
to your old boring number.

    Well about 4 years ago Pacific Bell - Mike Morris's telco - figured out
that they could rent these nifty numbers to people rather than giving them
away. So if you request an unassigned number the cash registers clang at
Pac-Bell. If you are a business, what's another $10.00 per month so your
customers can dial (213) BAD FOOD and make a reservation at your restaurant?

Yours

--
Julian Macassey, n6are  julian@bongo    ucla-an!denwa!bongo!julian
n6are@wb6ymh (Packet Radio) n6are.ampr.org [44.16.0.81] voice (213) 653-4495