[comp.dcom.telecom] MCI fraud

jsol@eddie.mit.edu (Jonathan Alan Solomon) (06/01/89)

	ATTENTION MCI 800 service people.

Apparently MCI is unable to disconnect 800 service right now.
Apparently they can create new 800 numbers, but once a number is in
the database, it is permanent and they can't disconnect it.

The problem I face is the legal implications of that problem. I was an
800 service customer, and I now have my 800 numbers on my residence
lines. I previously disconnected one of them, and had to reconnect it
because it became clear that MCI would be unable to disconnect them.
That cost me $35.00 or so from New England Telephone (I happened to
disconnect one of my numbers to get that line back, so they didn't
have to send out an installer.)...

I reconnected that line because they are still billing me for the
service, even though I disconnected it, and even though one of the MCI
people insisted that I wasn't responsible for the lines.  I believe
she didn't have authorization to say that, and now MCI is trying to
back out of her agreement with me. Sending me the bills is there way
of keeping track of what the usage is, which is their way of covering
their ass.

As for usage, I don't mind paying for what I use, I'm not into fraud,
but they are continuing to bill me the $20.00/line maintainence fee as
well. I think they think I am still responsible for the lines, which
means the girl at MCI lied to me. Either way I'd like to get a
statement from MCI directly, either that I am responsible for the
bills or not. If  I am, I'd like them to tell me that in writing.
If I am not, then I'd like them to tell me that in writing.

Can anyone out in TELECOM land help with this? When I dial the MCI main number,
and ask to talk to *anyone* I always get their MCI VOICEMAIL mailbox, or some
secretary. They NEVER let you talk to anyone.  I need a *good* lawyer to deal
with this.  Recommendations?

Apparently there is no place within the MCI structure to resolve complaints.
I guess they think they are perfect.

I signed up for MCI's competetion to reach-out-america service (don't
know what they call it, sigh), twice. The first time they said it would be
ready June 1st, the second time was on june 1st to ask them if it was up.
It was not even in their computers. They took the information again and now
I am waiting for NET to switch my carrier.

I hope MCI gets their act together soon, they have the potential to be
an excellent asset to the international telecommunications systems.

BTW: My 800 numbers are gone, looks like persistance paid off.

--jsol

[Moderator's Note: Jon Solomon was the founder of TELECOM Digest and the
original moderator here for several years.   PT]

ted@mbunix.mitre.org (06/02/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0182m02@vector.dallas.tx.us> jsol writes:

[about the difficulties of disconnecting an MCI 800 line]

>Can anyone out in TELECOM land help with this? When I dial the MCI main number
>and ask to talk to *anyone* I always get their MCI VOICEMAIL mailbox, or some
>secretary. They NEVER let you talk to anyone.  I need a *good* lawyer to deal
>with this.  Recommendations?

Try misc.legal.

Why (when you are planning on taking legal action against MCI), ...

>I signed up for MCI's competetion to reach-out-america service (don't
>know what they call it, sigh), twice. The first time they said it would be
>ready June 1st, the second time was on june 1st to ask them if it was up.
>It was not even in their computers. They took the information again and now
>I am waiting for NET to switch my carrier.

do you purchase more MCI service?  In my book, this defies logic.

>I hope MCI gets their act together soon, they have the potential to be
>an excellent asset to the international telecommunications systems.

I don't understand.  MCI can't accomplish the simple task of removing
and 800 number from service, but they have the potential to be an
asset to the international telecommunications systems.

I'm sure this is a religious issue, and I don't want to start a
flamefest, but why do people take abuse from a phone company and
remain loyal?  Switching LD companies is not like divorcing a spouse;
it's just phone company, try another one.

|Ted Ede -- ted@mbunix.mitre.org -- The MITRE Corporation -- Burlington Road|
| linus!mbunix!ted -- Bedford MA, 01730 -- Mail Stop B015 -- (617) 271-2524 |
|                   - this line intentionally left blank -                  |

john@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (John Higdon) (06/02/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0182m02@vector.dallas.tx.us>, jsol@eddie.mit.edu
(Jonathan Alan Solomon) writes:

> Apparently there is no place within the MCI structure to resolve complaints.
> I guess they think they are perfect.

I had considered signing up for MCI's reach-out-america-type service
but was faced with not only the above, but the fact that MCI is still
analog to most of the country. After sitting on hold for 30 minutes
waiting for a salesperson, I figured that if I ever had a billing
problem I would wait even longer (since I assume they are more
interested in sales than service). I'll stay with AT&T. They are the
provider of my statewide 800 number and I am very happy with them.

ellisond@asuvax.asu.edu (Dell Ellison) (06/07/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0184m04@vector.dallas.tx.us>, decvax!decwrl!apple!
zygot!john@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (John Higdon) writes:

> In article <telecom-v09i0182m02@vector.dallas.tx.us>, jsol@eddie.mit.edu
> (Jonathan Alan Solomon) writes:
> > Apparently there is no place within the MCI structure to resolve complaints
> > ... I guess they think they are perfect.

> I had considered signing up for MCI's reach-out-america-type service
> but was faced with not only the above, but the fact that MCI is still
> analog to most of the country. After sitting on hold for 30 minutes
> interested in sales than service). I'll stay with AT&T. They are the
> provider of my statewide 800 number and I am very happy with them.

I use US Sprint and EVERY time I call someone long distance (even across the
country), the person on the other end of the line ALWAYS says, 'Oh!  Are you
here in town!'  Never fails!

Of course if you don't like crystal clear conversations,

then stick with

A.T. & T.

or

M.C.I.