[comp.dcom.telecom] Atlanta Company Offers Residential 800 service

CER2520%ritvax.bitnet@eecs.nwu.edu (C. E. Reid) (05/30/89)

Readers might find this interesting.  I found this article in my local
newspaper, Democrat and Chronicle, Rochester, New York, today (5/30) on page
6D:

        ATLANTA PHONE COMPANY OFFERS 800 SERVICE FOR HOME DIALING

           TelecomUSA, a long-distance services company based in Atlanta, is
offering the nation's first 800-line service aimed specifically at the
residential market.  Known as the "Personal Hotline," the service allows
consumers to phone home without using a credit card, operator assistance or
even a quarter for the pay phone.

           So far, about 2,500 residential customers have signed up for the new
service, which was launched in Jaunary, and is available in every state.

           Much like the toll-free services commonly used by businesses, the
Personal Hotline accepts incoming calls only, at no charge to the caller.  To
call a residential 800 line, callers dial 1-800 plus the regular seven digits
of the number.

mihalo@chinet.chi.il.us (William Mihalo) (06/02/89)

The number to call for Telecom USA is 1 800-476-9000

They have a $10 installation fee and a $2.75 monthly fee. The rates
that were quoted over the phone were $0.29/minute 8 AM to 5 PM and
$0.21/minute all other times.

BTW, when I called Telecom USA I could barely hear the person at the
other end. It was a very poor connection. I don't know if they are using
their own 800 numbers for business purposes. I just thought I'd mention
this.

john@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (John Higdon) (06/02/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0180m03@vector.dallas.tx.us>, CER2520%ritvax.bitnet@
eecs.nwu.edu (C. E. Reid) writes:
> [Information about Atlantic Bell offering residential 800 service]
>            Much like the toll-free services commonly used by businesses, the
> Personal Hotline accepts incoming calls only, at no charge to the caller.  To
> call a residential 800 line, callers dial 1-800 plus the regular seven digits
> of the number.

So I have had a statewide 800 number in my home for my personal use for
years. It's tied in with my Commstar II (residential centrex) so that I
can answer it from any line in my home. My question is this: What makes
residential 800 service different from business 800 service? My
"business" 800 service couldn't be much cheaper, and I had no trouble
at all associating it with my residential service.

klb@lzaz.att.com (K.BLATTER) (06/03/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0184m08@vector.dallas.tx.us>, mihalo@chinet.chi.il.us
(William Mihalo) writes:
> The number to call for Telecom USA is 1 800-476-9000

> BTW, when I called Telecom USA I could barely hear the person at the
> other end. It was a very poor connection. I don't know if they are using
> their own 800 numbers for business purposes.

According to the TELECOM Digest Guide to North American Area Codes dated
Jan 19, 1989 800-476 is "owned" (if that's the proper term) by Teleconnect.

Kevin L. Blatter
AT&T - Bell Labs

gould@pilot.njin.net (Brian Jay Gould) (06/06/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0186m07@vector.dallas.tx.us>, klb@lzaz.att.com (K.
BLATTER) writes:
> In article <telecom-v09i0184m08@vector.dallas.tx.us>, mihalo@chinet.chi.il.us
> (William Mihalo) writes:
> > The number to call for Telecom USA is 1 800-476-9000
>
> > BTW, when I called Telecom USA I could barely hear the person at the
> > other end. It was a very poor connection. I don't know if they are using
> > their own 800 numbers for business purposes.
>
> According to the TELECOM Digest Guide to North American Area Codes dated
> Jan 19, 1989 800-476 is "owned" (if that's the proper term) by Teleconnect.
>
> Kevin L. Blatter
> AT&T - Bell Labs

Yes Kevin, Telecom*USA is the parent company to Teleconnect (as well as a half
dozen or more other carriers.  In fact, I believe that Telecom*USA is the
fourth largest long distance carrier in the country.  If your guide is more
than three weeks old, it is out of date.

As for the problems with the 800 number, I called and had no problem.
- Brian Jay Gould  :: INTERNET gould@pilot.njin.net                       -
-                     UUCP rutgers!njin!gould   Telephone  (201) 329-9616 -
-                     BITNET gould@jvncc        Facsimile  (201) 329-9616 -
- Vice President, Systems Integration    ---   Network Design Corporation -
--------------------------------------------------------------------------s

egs@u-word.dallas.tx.us (Eric Schnoebelen) (06/07/89)

- BLATTER) writes:
->> BTW, when I called Telecom USA I could barely hear the person at the
->> other end. It was a very poor connection. I don't know if they are using
->> their own 800 numbers for business purposes.

-> According to the TELECOM Digest Guide to North American Area Codes dated
-> Jan 19, 1989 800-476 is "owned" (if that's the proper term) by Teleconnect.

- Yes Kevin, Telecom*USA is the parent company to Teleconnect (as well as
- a half dozen or more other carriers.  In fact, I believe that
- Telecom*USA is the fourth largest long distance carrier in the country.
- If your guide is more than three weeks old, it is out of date.

	Actually, according to my information, Telecom*USA was formed
by the merger of Teleconnect ( of Cedar Rapids, Iowa ) and SouthernNet
( of Atlanta, Ga. ) early this year ( I seem to remember hearing about
it in January. )

        Telecom*USA is the fourth largest carrier in the United States,
but still quite a distance behind number three, US Sprint.

        The Telecom*USA network is basically divided into two portions,
the old Teleconnect network in Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, and
Missouri, and the old SouthernNet network in the southeast.

--
Eric Schnoebelen,			JBA Incorporated, Lewisville, Tx.
egs@u-word.dallas.tx.us				...!killer!u-word!egs

gould@pilot.njin.net (Brian Jay Gould) (06/08/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0190m04@vector.dallas.tx.us>, egs@u-word.dallas.tx.us
(Eric Schnoebelen) writes:

> 	Actually, according to my information, Telecom*USA was formed
> by the merger of Teleconnect ( of Cedar Rapids, Iowa ) and SouthernNet
> ( of Atlanta, Ga. ) early this year ( I seem to remember hearing about
> it in January. )

>         Telecom*USA is the fourth largest carrier in the United States,
> but still quite a distance behind number three, US Sprint.

>         The Telecom*USA network is basically divided into two portions,
> the old Teleconnect network in Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, and
> Missouri, and the old SouthernNet network in the southeast.

Yes, there was a merger.  However, Telecom*USA is the parent company and both
entities (Teleconnect and SouthernNet) still exist.  This is temporary.  I
expect to see one carrier in the near future.  You may have seen that
Telecom*USA is buying up everything in sight.  They could be a major player
very quickly.

By the way...  My source is Clark McLeod, president of Telecom*USA.