[comp.dcom.telecom] sci.commtech: Call 4 votes on news.groups

klopfens@cis.ohio-state.edu (Bruce Klopfenstein) (06/05/89)

Please see news.groups for the sci.commtech call for votes.

Thanks.

--
Dr. Bruce C. Klopfenstein      |  klopfens@andy.bgsu.edu
Radio-TV-Film Department       |  klopfenstein@bgsuopie.bitnet

[Moderator's Note: All comp.dcom.telcom readers are invited, and urged to
vote regarding the creation of this news group. I recommend a vote of
yes. PT]

chip@vector.dallas.tx.us (Chip Rosenthal) (06/07/89)

bgsuvax!klopfens@cis.ohio-state.edu (Bruce Klopfenstein) writes:
>Please see news.groups for the sci.commtech call for votes.
>
>[Moderator's Note: All comp.dcom.telcom readers are invited, and urged to
>vote regarding the creation of this news group. I recommend a vote of
>yes. PT]

I strongly urge all comp.dcom.telecom readers to vote "no".

The sci.commtech newsgroup is supposed to talk about new communications
technology.  The proposer lists "telecommunications technologies (including
fiber optics and ISDN [...])" as examples in his referenced message.

Well, what are we here, chopped liver?  I don't know about you, but I'd
much rather read about new telecommunication technology here in
comp.dcom.telecom rather than seeing it interspersed among postings on
interactive videodisks and other such things in a sci.commtech.

Not only would the success of a sci.commtech mean the fragmentation of
comp.dcom.telecom, but we would also lose the contributions of our [TELECOM
Digest] mailing list readers.

I don't believe that sci.commtech brings anything new to USENET, and its
success will be at the expense of other groups such as comp.dcom.telecom.
I urge you to submit a "no" vote to klopfens@bgsuvax.UUCP.  (He has
requested that votes contain either "vote yes" or "vote no" in the subject.)

(Followups might best be directed to news.groups.)
--
Chip Rosenthal / chip@vector.Dallas.TX.US / Dallas Semiconductor / 214-450-5337
"I wish you'd put that starvation box down and go to bed" - Albert Collins' Mom

rv01@gte.com (Robert Virzi) (06/09/89)

Chip Rosenthal writes this concerning the call for votes on sci.commtech:

> I strongly urge all comp.dcom.telecom readers to vote "no".
> The sci.commtech newsgroup is supposed to talk about new communications
> technology.  The proposer lists "telecommunications technologies (including
> fiber optics and ISDN [...])" as examples in his referenced message.

No offense to Chip, but this is wrong!  The group is forming to discuss
the *social implications* of new technologies, not the technologies
themselves.  I anticipate debates related to topics such as:  How will
ISDN affect the way businesses deal with customers?, What new services
will fill BISDN bandwidth and how will they affect us?, Is there new
educational potential in HDTV? etc.  The purpose of the group is to
segregate discussions of "what" new technologies are from "why" they
may affect us or the society.

I urge you to vote YES for sci.commtech as it provides a unique forum
for discussions relating to technology and how it affect us!

--

-Bob Virzi                    | Innuendo ...
 rv01@gte.com                 |