[comp.dcom.telecom] NXX, N1X, N0X, ...

peter@uunet.uu.net (06/07/89)

I'm curious anout this terminology. Why two symbols for unspecified
digits, here? Why N1X rather than N1N or X1X? And why NXX rather than
any other combination on Ns and Xes? Does this mean anything, or is it
just traditional?
---

Business: uunet.uu.net!ficc!peter, peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180.
Personal: ...!texbell!sugar!peter, peter@sugar.hackercorp.com.

cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) (06/08/89)

N means any single digit EXCEPT 0 and 1.
X means any single digit, to INCLUDE 0 and 1.
Until 1973, area code-prefix combinations were of the N[01]X-NNX form.
In July 1973, area 213, which includes Los Angeles and which has since
split to form area 818, went over to NXX prefixes (in other words, it
allowed for new prefixes of the form N0X and N1X), so that for the first
time some 3-digit numbers could serve both as a prefix and as an areacode.

deej@bellcore.bellcore.com (David Lewis) (06/12/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0189m05@vector.dallas.tx.us>, ficc!peter@uunet.uu.net
writes:
> I'm curious anout this terminology. Why two symbols for unspecified
> digits, here? Why N1X rather than N1N or X1X? And why NXX rather than
> any other combination on Ns and Xes? Does this mean anything, or is it
> just traditional?

In telco shorthand, N = any digit from 2 through 9; X = any digit from 0
through 9.  Before the advent of common control switches (where a single
controller, either electronic or electromechanical, reads the whole
number and then sets up a path through the switch fabric), the first
three digits of a phone number were used to determine what sort of
treatment to give a call.  Special treatment was recognized by a 0 or 1
for the first digit.  An "N" -- 2 through 9 -- in the first digit
therefore meant "handle normally".  A long-distance (out of area code)
call was recognized by a 0 or 1 in the second digit, so an "N" in the
second digit meant "inside this area code -- expect only 5 more digits".

I don't know why 0/1 were chosen as the special numbers; it may have
been tradition or it may have been some operations research whiz at Bell
Labs doing some T&M studies...

Anyway, the result of this is that, to date, office codes are generally
of the pattern NNX and area codes (or Numbering Plan Area codes, NPA
codes for short) are of the pattern N0/1X.  If you've been following the
discussion here lately, this all becomes moot over the next five or six
years as the lack of codes leads to interchangeable CO/NPA codes.  Both
CO codes and NPA codes will be of the format NXX.

--
David G Lewis				...!bellcore!nvuxr!deej

			"If this is paradise, I wish I had a lawnmower."

[Moderator's Note: I think 0/1 were chosen probably because at the
time this first came up for consideration, telephone companies were just
beginning to move away from Pennypacker, Pennsylvania, Sheldrake and
Buckingham style exchange names into ANC (All number calling). And which
two numbers on the rotary dial did NOT have letters associated? Zero and
one. I have seen exactly *one* very old, circa 1920's instrument which had
the letter 'Z' on the zero-operator hole. '1' was always held out as a
special sort of digit.    PT]