[comp.dcom.telecom] Goodbye 415-976! It was nice knowing you!

telecom@eecs.nwu.edu (TELECOM Moderator) (06/11/89)

For a few days now at least, calls from Chicago to 415-976-anything have
been getting intercepted at a switch in Chicago and rejected. I was unable
to find a single routing which would work.

10288 (1 plus on my lines) immediatly cuts in after 1-415-976 without waiting
for the final four digits --
  "Your call cannot be completed as dialed. Please check the number and
   dial again, or ask the operator for assistance.  Three One Two, One Tee"

   However the operator was also unable to complete the call, or explain
   why not.

10222 waited for the complete eleven digits, then said,
   "We're sorry. MCI does not complete calls to 976 at this time." (click)

10333 accepted all eleven digits, then intercepted saying,
   "Forty Four! Five Oh Three! Your call cannot be completed as entered.
   Please call Customer Service for assistance."  (and it kept repeating)

10444 accepted all eleven digits, paused, then gave a spurt of dial tone from
somewhere for a couple seconds, followed by two rings, and a report,
   (one voice saying) "Forty seven dash three" followed by a different
   voice saying "We're sorry, but your call cannot be completed. Please
   check the number and redial, or call Customer Service."

10888 accepted all eleven digits, then *Illinois Bell* responded,
   "The long distance company you have selected cannot complete your call
   at this time. Please try your call again later."

Growing frustrated at my inability to call a service which I enjoy using
sometimes, I tried a different tactic. The firm which employs me has a
WATS extender which I am authorized to use when working from home. A local
Chicago seven digit number connects me. Calling into the diverter and
entering my password, I then dialed the three digits for the tie-line to
our branch in New York. Getting their dial tone, I dialed their access
code for WATS, and again tried to dial 415-976-my thing.

This time, a *very funky* recording from somewhere -- I know not where --
cut in after the 415-976 part, without waiting for the final four digits,
and told me,
   "again. The number you have dialed is not in service. Please check the
   number and dial"  (pause) (repeat, beginning with 'again')

Attempting to make the call from the nine-level trunks off the New York
PBX got me a New York Telephone intercept similar to the one in Chicago.
Although we have an office in Canoga Park, CA, I know for a fact that all
976 numbers are blocked at the PBX level there, just as we have all 1-900
and 976 numbers in area 312 blocked in our PBX here in Chicago. But I
figured I would try it anyway. As expected, calling through the nine level
local trunks out of Canoga Park blocked all 213-976 and 415-976 numbers.
Forcing the call through 9-10288 + 1-415-976 out of Canoga Park got me
through. Finally!

As to be expected, the transmission was lousy, and I don't intend to bother
dialing all those numbers in the future just to make the call. So I guess
its goodbye 415-976 from outside the State of California!

Patrick Townson

john@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (John Higdon) (06/12/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0193m01@vector.dallas.tx.us>, telecom@eecs.nwu.edu
(TELECOM Moderator) writes:
> For a few days now at least, calls from Chicago to 415-976-anything have
> been getting intercepted at a switch in Chicago and rejected. I was unable
> to find a single routing which would work.

California Information Access Providers have been clamoring for years
to get this accomplished. They have found it very discouraging to have
their call-counters registering impressive numbers, only to find at the
end of the month that the check from Pac*Bell was for pennies.

> Growing frustrated at my inability to call a service which I enjoy using
> sometimes,

and not paying for, since providers are only paid for in-state calls,

> Forcing the call through 9-10288 + 1-415-976 out of Canoga Park got me
> through. Finally!

And finally, someone will be charged for the calls you make.

It seems that California has been the only state to allow out-of-state
calls to 976 due to the generally inept manner that Pac*Bell has
handled the service all along. That there is even a 976 industry in
California remaining is a miracle.

> As to be expected, the transmission was lousy, and I don't intend to bother
> dialing all those numbers in the future just to make the call. So I guess
> its goodbye 415-976 from outside the State of California!

And goodbye to all those jammed lines that are not making any money for
the service provider.
      john@zygot.uucp       | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

[Moderator's Note: Well, la-dee-dah! I am tempted to say something obscene,
something 976-like. (Sticking out tongue and making ugly face.)   PT]

goodman%cdp.uucp@eecs.nwu.edu (06/13/89)

The audiotext information providers have been losing a $bundle$ on calls
placed outside the local billing area.  They've been literally going
batsh*t over the issue and are pressuring ALL carriers to block access
to 976 #s outside the local billing area.

AT&T has it's own reasons to comply with such requests: they've got a
900 service that would be happy to host information providers on a national
basis.

--Harry Goodman hplabs!cdp!goodman

Disclaimer?  Oh.  "I mean what I say and say what I mean but CdP/IGC
refuse to be responsible for my debts much less my words."

[Moderator's Note: But can I get it billed on my Reach Out at twelve cents
a minute? The one thing about 415-976 for us Chicagoans: it was *cheap*
thrills. (Making obscene, Bronx-cheer like noises.)    PT]

edell%garnet.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (Richard Edell) (06/13/89)

(TELECOM Moderator) writes:
>For a few days now at least, calls from Chicago to 415-976-anything have
>been getting intercepted at a switch in Chicago and rejected. I was unable
>to find a single routing which would work.

The following is an excerpt from a letter from Pacific Bell to 976 Information
Providers dated May 4, 1989:

  "On February 22, 1989, Pacific Bell requested that the local telephone
  companies and the IECs block the California 976 prefix outside the state.
  This action was taken to help eliminate unbillable interstate calls from
  reaching California programs.

Apparently Pacific Bell's 976 serving central offices are unable to reject
976 calls carried by IECs (long distance carriers) from outside of
California (and still accept calls originated within California.)  Therefore
Pacific Bell is asking all other phone companies to implement blocking.

-Richard Edell
 (edell@garnet.berkeley.edu)
 (UCB EECS student and 976 Information Provider)

jpp@uunet.uu.net (06/13/89)

telecom@eecs.nwu.edu (TELECOM Moderator):
> For a few days now at least, calls from Chicago to 415-976-anything have
> been getting intercepted at a switch in Chicago and rejected. I was unable
> to find a single routing which would work.

After reading this I tried it from the UK and got:
    "We're sorry. MCI does not complete calls to 976 at this time." (click)
	or
     NU (Number Unobtainable) tone from British Telecom
	or
     US style busy signal
	or
     Nothing at all - I.E. open line to who knows where.

I then tried 213-976 and got the same set of messages.  It looks like
calls to all CA 976 codes are being blocked to out of state callers.

This is no great suprise other than the fact that British Telecom
seems to use MCI for some, but not all, of its US traffic.

John Pettitt