[comp.dcom.telecom] Cellular Road-Side Phone Sighted

nomdenet@venera.isi.edu (06/10/89)

   This morning on my way to work (in Southern California) I saw a cellular
CalTrans emergency road-side telephone surmounted by a panel of solar cells.
The site is less than 0.25 mile from a PacTel cellular antenna.  Today I
finally verified that the telephone was cellular; I first noticed it about
mid May.  Possibly I've glimpsed others; mostly I concentrate on traffic and
driving, but I'll keep an eye out.

   For those others whose past-life sins condemn them to commuting on the
San-Diego freeway, this particular phone is on the south-bound side in the
Sepulveda-pass area, less than 0.25 mile north of the Moraga on ramp; its
ID is SD 423 or 425.

A. R. White
USC/Information Sciences Institute
4676 Admiralty Way
Marina Del Rey, California
90292-6695
(213) 822-1511, x162
(213) 823-6714  facsimile

ARPA:  nomdenet @ ISI.edu

morris@jade.jpl.nasa.gov (Mike Morris) (06/13/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0192m03@vector.dallas.tx.us> nomdenet@venera.isi.edu
writes:

>   This morning on my way to work (in Southern California) I saw a cellular
>CalTrans emergency road-side telephone surmounted by a panel of solar cells.
>The site is less than 0.25 mile from a PacTel cellular antenna.  Today I
>finally verified that the telephone was cellular; I first noticed it about
>mid May.  Possibly I've glimpsed others; mostly I concentrate on traffic and
>driving, but I'll keep an eye out.

>   For those others whose past-life sins condemn them to commuting on the
>San-Diego freeway, this particular phone is on the south-bound side in the
>Sepulveda-pass area, less than 0.25 mile north of the Moraga on ramp; its
>ID is SD 423 or 425.

The entire Orange County callbox system is cellular based.  LA County ones
are cellular only where the cost of running phone lines would be excessive.

These are interesting devices: the solar panel charges lead-acid batteries,
and a tilt switch or a vibration switch triggers a electronic version of
a scream for help.  Even though, I've seen a couple knocked over and the
panel cable cut, and the panel missing.

US Snail:  Mike Morris                    UUCP: Morris@Jade.JPL.NASA.gov
           P.O. Box 1130                  Also: WA6ILQ
           Arcadia, Ca. 91006-1130
#Include disclaimer.standard     | The opinions above probably do not even

wheels@watmath.waterloo.edu (Gerry Wheeler) (06/15/89)

writes:
>   This morning on my way to work (in Southern California) I saw a cellular
>CalTrans emergency road-side telephone surmounted by a panel of solar cells.

Hmmm. I have seen solar-powered roadside phones in Florida, on I-75 I think.
Anybody know how they are connected? They have a long stick above, which I
assume is an antenna, but I've no idea who or what they speak to.
--
Gerry Wheeler                        Pulaski: "Data has a special way
(519)745-0582                                  with computers."