[comp.dcom.telecom] AT&T and the 'Simple PBX' Market

OLE@csli.stanford.edu (Ole J. Jacobsen) (06/12/89)

A while back, there was some discussion about AT&T PBX equipment (Merlin and
the like). I'd like to point out that while Merlin offers great features
(we have one at work), it is probably the most expensive system you can buy.
(The cheapest Merlin phone is over $200, a "reasonable" one, the kind most
employees would want (BIS-22) is $395). For larger businesses this is probably
OK, but I am really surprised that AT&T hasn't entered the "simple PBX"
market. Panasonic has a 6 CO line, 16 extension system for about $700,
it requires only one "wizard's console" and supports *standard
telephones* (my rotary phones from the 30's and 40's work just fine).
Again, you cannot fault AT&T for quality, but I really wonder about
their pricing (look at what they charge for a FAX machine these days!!).

Ole

"Make it as ubiquitous as dialtone!"

jshelton@ads.com (John L. Shelton) (06/15/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0198m05@vector.dallas.tx.us> OLE@csli.stanford.edu
(Ole J. Jacobsen) writes:

>A while back, there was some discussion about AT&T PBX equipment (Merlin and
>the like). I'd like to point out that while Merlin offers great features
>(we have one at work), it is probably the most expensive system you can buy.
>(The cheapest Merlin phone is over $200, a "reasonable" one, the kind most
>employees would want (BIS-22) is $395). For larger businesses this is probably
>OK, but I am really surprised that AT&T hasn't entered the "simple PBX"
>market. Panasonic has a 6 CO line, 16 extension system for about $700,
>it requires only one "wizard's console" and supports *standard
>telephones* (my rotary phones from the 30's and 40's work just fine).
>Again, you cannot fault AT&T for quality, but I really wonder about
>their pricing (look at what they charge for a FAX machine these days!!).

*  merlin isn't a PBX; it's an electronic Key system.  Admittedly, the
boundary between PBX and EKTS is fading, but generally, in a PBX,
routine calls are placed to other extensions, and outside calls are
dialed with an access code (like 9).  PBX users generally don't have
access to a specific line, and can't tell when a line is in use.  PBXs
are geared for lots of single-line phones.  An EKTS generally has
multi-line phones, and users compete for the outgoing lines.  Users
either shout at each other (because the office is small) or use one of
several intercom lines.

*  I like my Merlin system.  I compared it with many others, and found
it unbeatable, except for price.  I was interested in top-quality
performance, lots of features, flexibility, expansion.  (8 phones at
home is NOT enough.)

* I agree that prices are a bit high.  The cheapest phone (5
programmable buttons, plus a number of feature buttons) is around
$200, but is widely available used, and there are discounters offering
25% off Merlin systems and components.

*  Merlin phones can be used on larger systems, like AT&T System 75
and System 85 PBXs.

*  Merlin will support single-line phones, but it costs around $300 to
support these.  (Of course, you could have multiple phones on each
adapter.)  With this arrangement, you have access to all the features
that a multibutton phone has.

*  After writing to AT&T to complain about prices, marketing strategy,
etc, I was reminded that they do have two lower priced products:
Spirit, a system with 80% of Merlin's features, but only two styles of
phone.  Pricing is about 20 - 30% less than comparable Merlin systems.
The other one escapes me, but is a simple 2-line system that works
over standard inside wiring.  (would work well at home.)  I had
suggested to AT&T that they market Merlin for home use, but they
countered that most people don't have 4 pair wires running from each
room to a central location.

*  I'll repeat a request from the past:  Does anyone know the protocol
Merlin phones use to transmit button-press information back to the
central unit?

=John Shelton=

egg@att.uucp (06/15/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0198m05@vector.dallas.tx.us> you write:

>. . . I am really surprised that AT&T hasn't entered the "simple PBX"
>market. Panasonic has a 6 CO line, 16 extension system for about $700,
>it requires only one "wizard's console" and supports *standard
>telephones* (my rotary phones from the 30's and 40's work just fine).

You might look at AT&T's Spirit and (if it is still around) EKTS.

---
Edwin G. Green
AT&T Bell Laboratories		Naperville, Illinois, USA
IHP 1F-550			312-416-7187
UUCP: att!ihlpl!egg

klb@lzaz.att.com (K.BLATTER) (06/16/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0199m05@vector.dallas.tx.us>, jshelton@ads.com (John L.
Shelton) writes:
> *  After writing to AT&T to complain about prices, marketing strategy,
> etc, I was reminded that they do have two lower priced products:
> Spirit, a system with 80% of Merlin's features, but only two styles of
> phone.  Pricing is about 20 - 30% less than comparable Merlin systems.
> The other one escapes me, but is a simple 2-line system that works
> over standard inside wiring.  (would work well at home.)  I had
> suggested to AT&T that they market Merlin for home use, but they
> countered that most people don't have 4 pair wires running from each
> room to a central location.

I think that he is referring to a System 2000 which sells at the
local AT&T phone center for $349.95 for a master unit (which one is
required) and $219.95 for each extension phone.  You can only have
a maximum of 2 lines, but I don't know what the maximum number of
stations is.

I would love to buy a Merlin system for my house, but I can't afford
it.  (No employee discounts on Merlins :-( )  I guess that I'll have
to settle for AT&T 412's.

> *  I'll repeat a request from the past:  Does anyone know the protocol
> Merlin phones use to transmit button-press information back to the
> central unit?

Merlin phones (the digital phones, anyway) use a proprietary protocol
called DCP (Digital Communications Protocol).  I'm sure (although I
have no first-hand knowledge) that the button-press information is
passed via DCP.  Because DCP is proprietary, you won't find the
internals discussed anywhere.  Sorry.

Kevin L. Blatter
AT&T - Bell Labs

Disclaimer:  My employer has never asked me to speak for it and therefore
I only speak for myself.

dave@rutgers.edu (Dave Levenson) (06/16/89)

Shelton) writes:
> *  Merlin phones can be used on larger systems, like AT&T System 75
> and System 85 PBXs.

No, the multi-button sets which work with Merlin are analog sets
with a digital signaling system for sending button stimuli, and
receiving lamp updates.

The similar-looking multi-button sets sold with System 75 and 85 are
digital sets that encode the voice as well as the signaling
information into an ISDN-like bit-stream.

The Merlin sets do, however, work with System 25 -- a true PBX with
some key-system features.  On this switch, the voice gets digitized
by the port circuit in the switch, not in the telephone set.

--
Dave Levenson                Voice: (201) 647 0900
Westmark, Inc.               Internet: dave@westmark.uu.net