[comp.dcom.telecom] Another Phreak/Harassment Case History

morris@jade.jpl.nasa.gov (Mike Morris) (06/18/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0198m01@vector.dallas.tx.us> telecom@eecs.nwu.edu
(TELECOM Moderator) writes:

>Persons attempting to call the Probation Office in Delray Beach, FL on Monday
>were connected to a phone sex hotline operated by a woman named 'Tina'
>instead.

>Southern Bell Telephone Company officials have acknowledged that a
>hackerphreak invaded a central office over the weekend, using a computer and
>modem, and reprogrammed their computer in such a way that calls intended for
>the Probation Office were instead routed to a New York-based phone sex line.

 ...edited to reduce bandwidth...

>"People are calling the Department of Corrections and getting some kind
>of sex palace," said Thomas Slingluff, a spokesman for the Palm Beach County
>Probation Department.

>Southern Bell officials said it was the first time their switching equipment
>had been maliciously reprogrammed by an outside computer intruder. Southern

Several years ago our amateur radio repeater group had a occurance of a
similar nature.  The radio system covers a very wide area, and has a
microprocessor based control system.  The system also has a telephone
interconnect.  A unlicensed person acquired a amateur handheld and
proceeded to harass us.  It took several weeks to identify the person
and get the local FCC office interested in prosecuting him (the local
PD wasn't interested), and during that time he made our life miserable.
The person knew the local phone system _very_ well, and pulled such
nasties as: disconnect the line, busy out the line, disconnect it for
outgoing calls, disconnect it for incoming calls, call forward incoming calls
to the local "dial a KKK recording" (this changed to the NAACP,
dirty-joke-of-the-day, bedtime story, etc recordings almost daily),
and other dirty tricks.  But the crowning glory, and the one that
people still talk about, was when he converted our autopatch line
to a pay phone line!  (Ever try to drop two dimes into your Motorola
walkie-talkie?)

Needless to say the local telco security people were interested in the
situation once we got their attention.
(BTW the person is in jail, and will be for several years.  Among other
things he did was to disconnect the phone of the judge that had fined
him for speeding.  Not very bright.)
 .

US Snail:  Mike Morris                    UUCP: Morris@Jade.JPL.NASA.gov
           P.O. Box 1130                  Also: WA6ILQ
           Arcadia, Ca. 91006-1130
#Include disclaimer.standard     | The opinions above probably do not even