[comp.dcom.telecom] Telco Insists on Making Premise Visit

jsol@bu-cs.bu.edu (06/25/89)

I should point out that New England Telephone is insisting on sending out
an installer on every line except the primary line for residence service,
and for *every* business customer.

What a ripoff!

--jsol

morris@jade.jpl.nasa.gov (Mike Morris) (06/26/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0212m06@vector.dallas.tx.us> jsol@bu-cs.bu.edu writes:

>I should point out that New England Telephone is insisting on sending out
>an installer on every line except the primary line for residence service,
>and for *every* business customer.

A few years ago my roommate installed a secondline in the house, and
a visit was necessary to install the drop cable and second protector.
Nothing further was needed since I had installed the premise wiring
(I was working for an interconnect part-time at the time).
After he moved out, the line was disconnected.  Six or seven months later
I decided to get a second line for the modem.  I called up Pacific Bell
and was told that a visit was necessary.  I said "Why - all you need to do
is hook it up to the second line in this house that is presently unused -
the old <number> that was moved to an apartment two blocks away 6 months
ago."   After a minute of hemming and hawing (and furious typing on the
therminal) she agreed.  A few days later I happened to be home for lunch,
and saw a lineman on the pole.  When asked, he informed
me that "a guy over in that house is getting a second line - I'm hooking
it up to his cable".

There wasn't a charge for a premise visit.

>What a ripoff!

Agreed.  Try fighting it.  What have you got to loose?
>--jsol

US Snail:  Mike Morris                    UUCP: Morris@Jade.JPL.NASA.gov
           P.O. Box 1130                  Also: WA6ILQ
           Arcadia, Ca. 91006-1130
#Include disclaimer.standard     | The opinions above probably do not even