[comp.dcom.telecom] Supreme Court Okays Dial-Porn

TELECOM@uunet.uu.net (06/26/89)

Just a short note in closing this issue of the Digest: I assume everyone
read the news in the paper over the weekend. The Supreme Court has ruled
that the telcos *cannot* disconnect the 1-900 and 976 porn lines unless
the services are specifically obscene, a definition that is hopeless to
reach, community standards being as they are these days. Good or bad
decision by the Supremes? I don't know...but don't start up here, whatever
you do!  :)  I'm sure talk.misc.sunday.sermons would be glad to have you
share your thoughts!   See you tomorrow!

Patrick Townson

dkrause@orion.cf.uci.edu (Doug Krause) (06/26/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0213m05@vector.dallas.tx.us> TELECOM@uunet.uu.net
writes:
>Just a short note in closing this issue of the Digest: I assume everyone
>read the news in the paper over the weekend. The Supreme Court has ruled
>that the telcos *cannot* disconnect the 1-900 and 976 porn lines unless
>the services are specifically obscene

Was it that telcos can't disconnect them, or that they couldn't be
outlawed?  Big difference.

Douglas Krause                     CA Prop i:  Ban Gummie Bears(tm)!

University of California, Irvine   ARPANET: dkrause@orion.cf.uci.edu
Welcome to Irvine, Yuppieland USA  BITNET: DJKrause@ucivmsa