[comp.dcom.telecom] More on Cellular Overseas

wmartin@st-louis-emh2.army.mil (Will Martin) (06/13/89)

Here's a mail exchange on the subject which I thought should be in the Digest
since there is good info about the Scandinavian implementation therein:

Date: Mon, 12 Jun 89 17:13:02 +0200
From: Torsten Dahlkvist <euatdt@euas11g.ericsson.se>
To: wmartin@ST-LOUIS-EMH2.ARMY.MIL
Subject: Re: Cellular phones in Beijing?

>Just how worldwide IS cellular telephone service implemented? I didn't
>think it even was available all over Europe yet.

Just for your info, and trying not to sound too vitriolic, I'd like to point
out that the cellular phone system you use is largely based upon the
Scaninavian one. The Scandinavian NMT-450 (Nordic Mobile Telephony) network
covers all of Scandinavia and Swedish telecom-manufacturer Ericsson is in
fact world-leading in sales of exchanges for cellular systems. Ericsson
actually had something like 50% of the American market when I last heard any
sales figures (a couple of years ago so this may have changed) and this should
be weighted against the fact that so far, North America has been one of the
SMALLER markets as cellular goes. A couple of years ago, there were more
cellular phones in Sweden alone than in all of North America! This may seem
amazing, but for once we've been favoured by our state-monopoly telecom
administrations.

The cellular networks have been integrated with the national radio networks
so that the transmitters didn't need their own housing etc. This meant a quick
build-up phase. Also, the build-up wasn't dependant on sales. A decision was
made to cover all the area, and then they simply did it. What surprised
everybody was the very rapid success of the system. Up until this time, mobile
telephony was considered a luxury commodity. Suddenly every plumber and
workman with a small enterprise of his own moved his office to his car with
no need even for a receptionist. Swedish tax-laws make such expenses
tax-deductible which meant that the cost for the phone, while high compared to
a regular land-line subscription, was negligible in running a business.

As a matter of fact, traffic outgrew the NMT-450 system years ago and the
second generation, NMT-900 was introduced. This runs on 900 MHz as opposed to
450 and thus covers less area per transmitter. The smaller cell size
effectively yields higher capacity but at the cost of more transmitters. Thus,
the NMT-900 system only covers the major urban regions and main national
roads. However, the phones need less power and shorter antennas, so they
have become very popular where they can be used. Customers have a choice of
450 or 900 MHz when opening a subscription, with a warning that 450-traffic
may be congested in urban areas and 900 may be unavailable in the country.

Other countries have followed, but so far Scandinavia has been the only major
multi-national cellular system. Different European countries have jumped on
the bandwagon at different times and thus have opted for either the 450 or the
900 systems. Most of them, though, buying the stations from Ericsson. Motorola
tried to move in on this huge market and have in fact managed to grab a small
slice (20%, I think) here in Sweden, but NMT dominates completely.

Of course, what the user sees is only the phone, not the exchange, and
Ericsson have never been able to compete with cheap Far-East mass-produced
subscriber equipment. Nor has this ever been their intent. They specialize in
switching equipment (quite successfully so).

At the present, work is going on throughout Europe to standardize a third
generation system with digital transmission and a true pan-european standard.
This means that a subscriber will be able to travel anywhere from Lisboa to
Ankara to North Cape and still use his own car phone with the same number. All
routing and charging will be fully automated.

As far as I can see, the split of Ma Bell in the U.S. messed up the situation
for you. IF Bell had been able to keep their hold on the market, and IF they
had branched out into cellular early enough, they MIGHT have been able to offer
you a continent-wide system without the routing hassles you seem to be
suffering now. I'm not generally a big fan of state monopolies, but it's
strange that Sweden should be among the cheapest countries for phone users
consistently year after year with the high costs of net maintenance we have
(sparse population/large area) for both cellular and regular phones. They must
be doing something fairly well.

BTW: As you can see from my return-path, I work at a subsidiary of Ericsson.
I am not, however, in any way involved in their marketing nor do I have
anything to do with the NMT-systems professionally. What I've said here is
just my own personal compilation of general knowledge about this market.

Torsten Dahlkvist
ELLEMTEL Telecommunication Laboratories
Stockholm, Sweden

=========================

Date:     Mon, 12 Jun 89 12:45:12 CDT
From:     Will Martin  <wmartin@st-louis-emh2>
To:       euatdt%euas11g.ericsson.se@sunic.sunet.se

Thanks for the info. I was NOT trying to imply that the American cellular
situation was superior to everywhere else (after all, what I mostly read
about it are complaints! :-); what I was getting at when I used the
"all over Europe" phrase was that I was surprised that this technology
was available in China when I was under the impression that it had not
been implemented in *every* European country yet. I've seen several
so) installed. But what about places like Portugal, Yugoslavia, etc.? That's
what I meant -- I thought that cellular did not yet completely cover Europe,
and it appears from the chart Mr. Covert posted that this is true.

I realize cellular is not available "all over" the US yet, and I
suppose never will be, given the presence of large areas of
sparsely-populated countryside, like in Nevada and similar places. I
suppose I should not have thought it at all remarkable that a major city
like Beijing would have installed cellular in that metropolitan area,
but it came as a bit of a surprise, since I was not aware of the
international extent of cellular, to hear that it was available in a
Communist country usually classified as "third world".

Regards, Will Martin

johnw@gatech.edu (John Wheeler) (06/18/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0196m01@vector.dallas.tx.us> wmartin@st-louis-emh2.
army.mil (Will Martin) writes:
>From: Torsten Dahlkvist <euatdt@euas11g.ericsson.se>

>As a matter of fact, traffic outgrew the NMT-450 system years ago and the
>second generation, NMT-900 was introduced. This runs on 900 MHz as opposed to
>450 and thus covers less area per transmitter.

Curious as to how "cellular" can be operated at 450 MHz. At frequencies that
"low" the cells would spill all over the place. 400-500 MHz is in fact
"famous" for its abilities to get into nooks and crannies everywhere,
bouncing off every building and hill within sight.

--
		  Turner                                       John Wheeler
     E N T E R T A I N M E N T     ...!gatech!nanovx!techwood!johnw

lars@salt.acc.com (Lars J Poulsen) (06/22/89)

The first generation of Nordic Mobile Telephones (Scandinavia's Cellular
system) NMT-450 operated at 450 MHz; the new system runs at 900 Mhz.

In article <telecom-v09i0205m03@vector.dallas.tx.us>
 John Wheeler <techwood!johnw@gatech.edu> writes:
>Curious as to how "cellular" can be operated at 450 MHz. At frequencies that
>"low" the cells would spill all over the place. 400-500 MHz is in fact
>"famous" for its abilities to get into nooks and crannies everywhere,
>bouncing off every building and hill within sight.

That was the idea; the cells are about 75 to 150 miles across; base
stations are co-located with television transmitters (both operated by
the national Post and Telegraph service).

How many cells are in Dallas under the current system ?

 Lars Poulsen <lars@salt.acc.com>     (800) 222-7308  or (805) 963-9431 ext 358
 ACC Customer Service                Affiliation stated for identification only
                 My employer probably would not agree if he knew what I said !!

euatdt@euas11g.ericsson.se (Torsten Dahlkvist) (06/26/89)

johnw@gatech.edu> writes:

>Curious as to how "cellular" can be operated at 450 MHz. At frequencies that
>"low" the cells would spill all over the place. 400-500 MHz is in fact
>"famous" for its abilities to get into nooks and crannies everywhere,
>bouncing off every building and hill within sight.

That's largely the idea. The tranceivers are built into the (nation-wide)
net of FM-repeaters covering the country. Because of the size of the cells,
the NMT-450 rapidly out-grew its' capacity (nobody had even dreamed it would
get that popular) and nowadays NMT-900 is recommended unless you absolutely
MUST have nation-wide access. A friend just bought a cellular phone and he said
if you wanted a 450 subscription there was a waiting-line of several months
while a 900 one you can get overnight. Apparently the Telco is restricting the
numbers of 450 users and diverting as much of the traffic as possible to 900.

Even in a 900 MHz-system, there's always some overlap between two adjoining
cells and a certain "spill" is bound to occur. Due to this, adjoining cells
never share the same channels and the net-phone protocol handles the
supervision necessary to detect when a phone has moved into a new cell and
a switch is indicated. Since 900-cells are smaller, there are never as many
phones in any one cell at the same time as there can be in the 450-system,
so even with the same number of channels, 900 would have higher throughput.
As it is, I believe 900 also has more channels than 450, so capacity is MUCH
higher. However, 900 does not work if you get too far away from the urban
areas and/or high up into the mountains. I have for a fact used a NMT-450
in the border mountains between Sweden and Norway. The Swedish carrier reached
well into Norwegian territory and vice-versa. A rough estimate is that the
overlap was at least 6 miles (10 km). NMT phones have a "Nation Select" key
where you can switch between the different carriers. This is to prevent the
phone from suddenly locking onto the "wrong" cell and causing your calls to
be charged extra for "international". This also makes it possible to see how
far into Norwegian territory the Swedish carrier reaches.

/Torsten
 Torsten Dahlkvist                        ! "I am not now, nor have I ever
 ELLEMTEL Telecommunication Laboratories  !  been, intimately related to
 P.O. Box 1505, S-125 25  ALVSJO, SWEDEN  !  Dweezil Zappa!"
 Tel: +46 8 727 3788                      !        - "Wierd" Al Yankowitz