[comp.dcom.telecom] Overseas Collect Calls

jeff@dsndata.uucp (Jeff Minnig) (06/23/89)

[Moderator's Note: This message, dated *May 22* was delayed, for reasons
unknown, in reaching me. Mr. Minnig probably thinks I ignored him. Sorry! PT]

        Heard an amusing story from an employee of my regular fill'er up
        gas station the other day.  It seems that someone in Lebanon
        has been calling the station's pay phone collect to talk to
        a friend for hours at a time.  The average length of the call
        was just over 1 hour.

        The local phone company is pretty much up in arms about the whole
        deal.  Seems that overseas collect calls are EXPENSIVE... :-)

        If you try to call a pay phone collect from a phone here in
        the U.S., the operator knows that you shouldn't be doing that.

        Is is possible to call a pay phone collect from overseas in
        this manner?

        Besides larceny and possible intent to defraud, what can
        the local phone company do with the person(s) even if they
        do catch them?

        Thanks

        -jeff-

Jeff Minnig                     | LL:   (402) 476-8278
Systems Analyst                 |
Design Data                     |
Lincoln NE 68508                |

woolsey@decwrl.dec.com (Jeff Woolsey) (06/24/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0207m02a@vector.dallas.tx.us> jeff@dsndata.uucp
(Jeff Minnig) writes:
>        Heard an amusing story from an employee of my regular fill'er up
>        gas station the other day.

>        If you try to call a pay phone collect from a phone here in
>        the U.S., the operator knows that you shouldn't be doing that.

>        Is is possible to call a pay phone collect from overseas in
>        this manner?

It seems to be a common practice here for the gas station to have a coin
telephone on its line.  It's a regular coin line, in that local calls
require a coin deposit, but it is also listed in the directory as the
phone number for that gas station.  The bulk of the telephone usage at a
gas station is either incoming calls for the business, or calls placed
by customers waiting for work to be done.

Some public telephone lines are set up to disable incoming calls, but
this would not be a good idea in this application.  Since it is a real
business line, the owner might actually want to accept collect calls
when answering the phone, so it is a little presumptuous of the operator
to make this determination beforehand.

--
Qualify nearly everything.

Jeff Woolsey	woolsey@nsc.NSC.COM	+1 408 721-8162

makela@uunet.uu.net (Otto J. Makela) (06/27/89)

It IS possible to call an overseas coin-phone collect !  A friend of mine
tried it, just for the heck of it.  Seems that in the US, a collect operator
will know from the telephone number if the phone is unbillable (could someone
supply the rule ?  xxn-xxxx, with n>4, or how was it ?)  Not so if you are
calling overseas (or probably even from any country with radically different
phone systems than the US).
A similar note is that since bank and other money cards are internationally
standardized, they are also formatted in a similar way.  Now, a credit-card
operated phone here won't accept any bank card... but the Swedish ones will
accept a Finnish card !  And since the banks in question have no common
billing arrangements, the poor telco computer just has to chuck the bill in
spite of having very detailed info on the card owner...

Otto J. Makela, University of Jyvaskyla
InterNet: makela@tukki.jyu.fi, BitNet: MAKELA_OTTO_@FINJYU.BITNET
BBS: +358 41 211 562 (V.22bis/V.22/V.21, 24h/d), Phone: +358 41 613 847
Mail: Kauppakatu 1 B 18, SF-40100 Jyvaskyla, Finland, EUROPE

john@decwrl.dec.com (John Higdon) (06/27/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0212m02@vector.dallas.tx.us>, nsc!woolsey@decwrl.dec.
com (Jeff Woolsey) writes:
> Some public telephone lines are set up to disable incoming calls, but
> this would not be a good idea in this application.  Since it is a real
> business line, the owner might actually want to accept collect calls
> when answering the phone, so it is a little presumptuous of the operator
> to make this determination beforehand.

At least with Pac*Bell (and I assume elsewhere) there is a database
which handles "called number screening". When you place an operator
assisted call on Pac*Bell or AT&T, this database is automatically
checked. If you are trying to place a collect call to a coin phone, it
shows on the operator console as "collect denied" and he/she *cannot*
override it. I have collect and third-number-billing screening on my
home phone(s) and if someone tries to call me collect, the operator
will say "I'm sorry, this number does not accept collect calls." Same
if you try to bill a call to my number.

Pac*Bell customers can call their business office and get this
screening free of charge. The front line response is denial and
run-around, but if you press it you can get it. BTW, it is this
database which made possible the assignment of ordinary numbers to coin
telephones. It California, they used to be of the form NNX-9XXX, but
now they can be anything at all.

Oh, try calling me collect; my number is below. :-)
      john@zygot.uucp       | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !