[comp.dcom.telecom] Police/Fire Dispatch Conversation at Sports Disaster

gast@cs.ucla.edu (David Gast) (06/28/89)

Given the recent discussion about the usefulness of computerized 911
systems, I thought I would pass this item on from comp.risks.

Date: Mon, 19 Jun 89 15:27:43 +0100
From: Charles Lindsey <charles@unix.computer-science.manchester.ac.uk>
Subject: Hillsborough Football -- Another Computer Connection

In the UK, we recently had a major disaster at the Hillsborough football
ground in Sheffield, in which 95 people died after being crushed against the
steel barrier which is supposed to prevent the spectators from invading the
pitch. It is estimated that the pressure per person on the fence, due to the
weight of the people behind surging forward, was in excess of one ton.

           [The computerized turnstile problem was noted in RISKS-8.60. PGN]

Now the official enquiry into the disaster is sitting, and the papers are full
of reports. At some point, it seems the Police decided they needed cutting
gear to use on the fence, and telephoned the Fire Brigade for it to be sent.
Clearly, its need was EXTREMELY URGENT.

Note that Hillsborough is the major football ground in Sheffield. It must
occupy something the size of a city block, and it can be approached from
several roads. The following is quoted from the Daily Mail for June 14.

Two vital minutes were wasted in helping victims of the Hillsborough tragedy.

The fire brigade refused to send vital cutting gear until they knew what street
the football stadium was on. Four times telephone operator Susan Davies
demanded the address. Then she asked five times what the equipment was needed
for.

Yesterday Miss Davies told the enquiry ... that the fire service computer
would not recognise the Hillsborough ground as a place.
'It needs a specific address and district in order to determine what pumps are
required to attend', she explained.
'My training is not to assume what an address is. It's up to me to ascertain
that from the person calling'.  As far as she was concerned, she added, there
could have been several football grounds at Hillsborough. ... The conversation
 ... went like this:

Police: Can we have cutting gear for Hillsborough please straight away?

Fire: Just a minute. Right, what's the address?

Police: Cutting equipment for Hillsborough football ground straight away.

Fire: Hillsborough football ground?

Police: Yes, Hillsborough football ground.

Fire: What road is that on, do you know?

Police: There has been a major accident, all the ambulances are there.

Fire: What road is it on?

Police: I have no idea. Hillsborough football ground.

Fire: What road is it on, do you know?

Police: Hillsborough football ground, what road is it on? (this to someone in
police control). Penistone Road.

Fire: Penistone Road?

Police: Penistone Road, OK.

Fire: Penistone Road, just a minute. What's exactly involved?

Police: It's football, a big match, Liverpool v Nottingham Forest.

Fire: Yes, but why do you want us? You said it was an RTA (Road Traffic
Accident).

Police: No, major incident inside the ground.

Fire: Major incident inside. Do you know exactly what it is?

Police: No I don't. They want all the cutting gear.

Fire: For what, do you know?

Police: Hang on a sec.

Police: (another voice) Hello.

Fire: Hello, now you want some cutting gear. What exactly is it for?

Police: ... full explanation ...

Fire: Right. OK. Leave it with us.

[Moderator's Note: My thanks to PGN/Risks for permitting the re-use of this
item, and to David Gast for sending it along.  PT]