[comp.dcom.telecom] LD carrier span comparisons

grs@att.att.com (06/13/89)

Steve Elias suggests that we discuss perceived quality on a carrier by
carrier basis for calls between various cities.  This sounds like an
excellent topic.  I would enjoy reading these accounts, I hope people
post some.  This is *not* the sort of thing I flamed Dell Ellison about,
however.  Posting shallow references to his corporation's widely
publicized media advertising campaign was what I thought to be a
bit out of line with the guidelines for technical discussion.

Tell me, would you like to read drek like
**begin example**
If you don't want to make Quality Job 1,
stick with
GM
and
Chrysler
**end example** (no offense to Ford intended :-)
at the end of messages originating within any corporation large enough to
have an advertising campaign?  If I want to read advertising campaigns,
I'll pick up a magazine.

Indeed, accounts such as "Last Monday at about 22:30, I attempted a call
between Philly and Omaha with LD company X, and found it to be unable to
maintain 2400 bps carrier.  I then tried LD company Y.  My call went through
quickly, and I suffered very little line noise during the 45 minute
connection." would be informative and interesting.  If such descriptions get
too numerous or dull, perhaps our esteemed moderator could collect and
summarize them.  Of course, that would be up to Patrick.

ellisond@ncar.ucar.edu (Dell Ellison) (06/29/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0197m03@vector.dallas.tx.us>, cblph!grs@att.att.com
writes:
> Steve Elias suggests that we discuss perceived quality on a carrier by
> carrier basis for calls between various cities.  This sounds like an
> excellent topic.  I would enjoy reading these accounts, I hope people
> post some.  This is *not* the sort of thing I flamed Dell Ellison about,
> however.  Posting shallow references to his corporation's widely
> publicized media advertising campaign was what I thought to be a
> bit out of line with the guidelines for technical discussion.

U.S. Sprint is owned by GTE and Northern Telecom (and soon to be totally
owned by Northern Telecom).  The company that I work for is also
partially owned by GTE.  However, that does not mean that I have any
affiliation with U.S. Sprint.  I am NOT affiliated with U.S. Sprint.
So please refrain from accusing others of 'tooting their own horn.'
(Interesting that HE works for AT & T)

(However, I Did enjoy his implication that flaming is a 'technical
discussion.')