[comp.dcom.telecom] Intra-LATA calls w/10 digits

bote@uunet.uu.net (John Boteler) (06/26/89)

(in reference to)
Subject: Re: 1+302 on calls from Pa. to Del.

>From article <telecom-v09i0201m04@vector.dallas.tx.us>, by cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB):
> I talked to my local business office today and hear that 1+302
> is now required on local calls from Pennsylvania to Delaware

Check that...

The Washington DC metro calling area has been put on warning that
10 digits (NOT 11) shall be mandatory in the near future for
calling across the LATA. The differentiation between
long distance calls and local calls across the LATA will
be the leading '1', as always.

Are you sure your business office included the leading '1'
when they told you to dial the area code? Or is DC
going to remain the odd-man-out in the dialing
standards arena?

Bote
uunet!cyclops!csense!bote
{mimsy,sundc}!{prometheus,hqda-ai}!media!cyclops!csense!bote

[Moderator's Note: In Thursday's Digest:  An article which first appeared
in {Computer Risks} transcribing a conversation between fire and police
dispatchers in the UK at the time of the soccer incident a few months ago.
Also, a schedule of seminars, "Understanding ISDN" taking place throughout
the United States during July and August.   PT]

cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) (06/30/89)

That's a good question regarding 1+ being included on local calls from
Pa. to Del.  I could go to Kemblesville, Pa. and try a local call to
Newark, Del.  I don't have the wording available for such new dialing
instruction.  I did notice that years ago, I could leave the 1+ off
calls made from pay phones on 302-475 and 302-478, which are local to
Pa. points, and 302-674 about halfway downstate in Delaware.

As for your comment about DC area:
What does this mean concerning area code 202?  Is it being withdrawn from
the Maryland and Virginia suburbs?  Apparently you mean that local calls
across the area code boundaries (i.e., from Md. to DC & Va., from Va. to
DC and Md., and from DC to Md. and Va.) will require the area code.  If
1+ is NOT to be used for such calls, it means that:
202 and 703 can NOT be used as prefixes in Md. suburbs
202 and 301 can NOT be used as prefixes in Va. suburbs
301 and 703 can NOT be used as prefixes in DC
(local calls within Md. suburbs, within Va. suburbs, and within DC to
remain 7 digits)
It is apparently the practice anyway that nearby area codes are not to
be used as prefixes.
At this time (i.e. WITHOUT this revision), prefixes 261 and 621 in Md.
suburbs dial 569-xxxx to make a local call to that prefix in Springfield,
Va., and 1-301-569-xxxx to make a local call to that prefix in Severn, Md.

In NYC, if you are calling within the local message-unit area, you have to
dial 1+516 or 1+914 as the case may be on calls to suburban points.  (At
least the phone book says to do that.)  And I believe local calls from
areas 213, 818, and 415 in California to neighboring area codes are 11
digits.