[comp.dcom.telecom] those {{{{{{{{{{{{ 's

haleden@ncar.ucar.edu (Hal Eden) (06/23/89)

I'm sure that this has been discussed here before, so if you reply
to me, that would be fine.

Could someone give me a semi-technical explanation for those {{{{{{{{
which appear as interference at 1200 baud?  I am going round and round
with USWestComm about this.

About a month ago a new office was installed in Boulder (apparently a
DMS100 ? 3rd hand info) and ever since then I have had to re-call
numerous times to get a "clean" line.  It seems that discussions I
have seen in the past referred to something being "out-of-phase".
What exactly is out of phase?  Whose responsibility is it?  How would
be the best way to pursue this?  I have gone through several levels of
supervisors and still get "no satisfaction".  I am not the only one
with the problem, and I have pursued it from the "other" end (the
problems only happen when I call modems at the university where I
work).  Apparently the problem has been fixed for most people, but I
am served by a different central-office than most of my colleagues.

Here's some idea of the interaction from this end --

Calls 1-3: I have "data noise" (with description) on my line
response 1-3: your line checks out, must be your equipment
counter response: but I can call englewood, denver, elsewhere with no
    problems; I only get this when I call the university in boulder!

Call 4: Escalate, supervisor says he will check it out
call 5: no response so I call again this time another supervisor gives
	me a (next level) supervisor, this supervisor gives me a spiel
	about how above 300 baud they cannot guarantee anything
	without me acquiring a "conditioned line"
my response: well, let's see; a conditioned line from where to where?
answer: from your home to the central office.
resp: and don't I go through that same central office when I call
	denver, englewood, etc?
answer: yes
resp: then why do I need a conditioned line from my house to the
	central office when when I go via that path to denver,etc I
	have no problems?
answer: I don't know.  Well maybe you could turn down your bauds a
	little bit, say to a thousand or so and see if you still have
	the problem....
me: sheesh!

so HELP, can someone educate me a little bet so that I can better
communicate what the problem is AND perhaps point me to the sort of
department within the operating company which would understand the
problem and could do something about it?  I am primarily a software
person who knows enough about hardware to get my self in trouble, and
have worked at a company who was working on an integrated phone/data
network/workstation (but I was in the database group not the telecom
group) so I know some small amount of terminology related to this, but
not a lot, so too low level a description might lose me, but I don't
need a laymans explanation either.

thanks
hal

haleden@boulder.colorado.edu

clements@bbn.com (06/26/89)

>Could someone give me a semi-technical explanation for those {{{{{{{{
>which appear as interference at 1200 baud?  I am going round and round
>with USWestComm about this.

> [Saga, involving new phone exchange in the area, deleted.]

Assuming that the errors happen at a quite steady rate, this is
the problem known as "clock slip" or "frame slip" on a digital
inter-office trunk.  The basic concept is that all the digital
phone exchanges and trunks in the USA are supposed to be run from
one master clock!  That is, the 1.544 MHz frequency on all T1
lines (and related ones on other lines) and the internal clocks
of the digital exchanges which pass samples through them are all
supposed to be locked together.  If they are not, one end will
supply bits slightly faster or slower than the other end will
consume them.  When this happens, and the error builds up to the
length of one sample on the trunk, all channels on the trunk drop
or gain one digital sample, causing a phase error of 1/8000
second, typically causing the data error you are seeing.

So the new exchange, or some of the trunks through it, are not
properly phase-locked to the rest of the system.  Fixing it is
PROBABLY just a matter of flipping a configuration switch (in
hardware or software) to establish master clock distribution
correctly through the system.  The hard part is finding one of
the few people in your local TELCO who understands the issue.

Keep asking for technical supervisors until you find someone who
sounds like they recognize the concepts of master clocks and
phase locking and frame slip on a digital trunk.  You may have to
find a name at the "engineering" department of the TELCO, who
normally don't deal directly with customer complaints, and get
them to work back from their side.  They probably specified the
system and would be annoyed that it wasn't implemented correctly.

>thanks
>hal
>
>haleden@boulder.colorado.edu

Bob Clements, K1BC,  clements@bbn.com

ceb@csli.stanford.edu (Charles Buckley) (06/27/89)

Concerning the following:
   From: clements@bbn.com
   Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
   Date: 25 Jun 89 19:56:49 GMT

   >Could someone give me a semi-technical explanation for those {{{{{{{{
   >which appear as interference at 1200 baud?

   Assuming that the errors happen at a quite steady rate, this is
   the problem known as "clock slip" or "frame slip" on a digital
   inter-office trunk.

That may well be, but it can also simply mean that the isolation
relay in the modem has dirty contacts.  I had a 1200'er which would
work error free for a month or two, and then start to generate such
errors, at a more or less steady rate too.

To fix it, I would open it up, pop the cover off the relay, clean
it with electronic solvent (doing my share for the ozone layer, I'm
sure ;-{), and then be okay for two more months.  I just bought a new
modem, and was surprised to find such a relay still present.  I guess
they're needed for FCC regulations, or something, but my ideal solution
would probably use silicon and *no* *moving* *parts*.

One easy way to tell if this is what needs to be done is to thwack
on top of the modem.  If that gives you a fistful of {'s, then clean
the relay, and leave the poor functionaries at the telephone company
alone.

ch%maths.tcd.ie@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Charles Bryant) (07/01/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0211m01@vector.dallas.tx.us> boulder!sigi.Colorado.EDU.
colorado.edu!haleden@ncar.ucar.edu (Hal Eden) writes:

<I'm sure that this has been discussed here before, so if you reply
<to me, that would be fine.

<Could someone give me a semi-technical explanation for those {{{{{{{{
<which appear as interference at 1200 baud?  I am going round and round
<with USWestComm about this.

When a V.22 (or Bell 212) modem gets a single bit error (when no data is
supposed to be being transmitted), this gets turned into a DEL character (which
normally is not seen on the screen) and a '{'. This is due to the scrambling
used with this type of modem (the scrambling is used to spread the frequencies
used).
<About a month ago a new office was installed in Boulder (apparently a
<DMS100 ? 3rd hand info) and ever since then I have had to re-call
<numerous times to get a "clean" line.  It seems that discussions I
<have seen in the past referred to something being "out-of-phase".
<What exactly is out of phase?  Whose responsibility is it?  How would
There should be nothing that can get 'out of phase'.

<so HELP, can someone educate me a little bet so that I can better
<communicate what the problem is AND perhaps point me to the sort of
<department within the operating company which would understand the
<problem and could do something about it?

You have described the problem perfectly. If you can get a clean line by
redialling it must be a problem between the exchanges (damn!).

cb
--

                Charles Bryant.
Working at Datacode Electronics Ltd. (Modem manufacturers)