[comp.dcom.telecom] Remote Line Unit!

arunk@cs.utexas.edu (Arun Kandappan) (06/26/89)

	I called up home (in India) and found that a new exchange was being
installed. They said it was a Remote Line Unit and that it was not a CO.
I do not know what difference it makes. Does anyone know about this and the
difference between the two.

	Thanks
	Arun Kandappan
--
Arun Kandappan                                  arunk@cs.utexas.edu
512+345-1616   EE Dept, UT at Austin TX 78712   uunet!cs.utexas.edu!arunk

ellisond@ncar.ucar.edu (Dell Ellison) (07/06/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0214m04@vector.dallas.tx.us>, arunk@cs.utexas.edu
(Arun Kandappan) writes:
> 	I called up home (in India) and found that a new exchange was being
> installed. They said it was a Remote Line Unit and that it was not a CO.
> I do not know what difference it makes. Does anyone know about this and the
> difference between the two.

A Remote Line Unit (RLU) is attached to a Central Office (CO) and could be
a good ways off.  Every call does have to go through the CO to terminate.
(It's like an appendage.)