[comp.dcom.telecom] Two way radios in Equipment Installation

judice@kyoa.enet.dec.com (L. J. Judice (DTN: 323-4103 FAX: 323-4533)) (07/05/89)

Two way radios REALLY help for this kind of work. A couple of years back
we built a large LAN and a terminal network at a very large (2,000,000
sq ft) plant.

We used Motorola MT series radios in the VHF band. They were very rugged
and always reliable. The only problem we had in terms of penetration was
talking from the computer room to some outlying location. Two solutions
would be UHF (which we considered but never had time to demo), or an
inexpensive base station radio, with antenna on the roof. Uniden (Regency)
and others make these (see ads for Scanner World in Popular Communications
magazine).

Motorola also has a line of more compact radios, and I believe I saw a pair
advertised in the Jensen Tool Catalog.

By all means consider a radio system - it really helped turn drudgery into
fun!

/ljj

(Standard disclaimers apply - I don't work for any of the above, but I've
used their products).

edg@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Edward Greenberg) (07/07/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0224m11@vector.dallas.tx.us> judice@kyoa.enet.dec.com
(L. J. Judice (DTN: 323-4103 FAX: 323-4533)) writes:

>Two way radios REALLY help for this kind of work. A couple of years back
>we built a large LAN and a terminal network at a very large (2,000,000
>sq ft) plant.

You can probably rent a few portables from one of many radio vendors.
Just consult the yellow pages under Two-Way Radio's or some such
listing.

If you want better coverage, you can get radios that share time on a
"Community Repeater."  There you have tone squelch that allows you to
hear only your own traffic, but it's like a party line.  If someone
else is using it, you have to wait.

Speaking as someone who has installed key systems using a pair of
portables, I highly recommend this route, and specifically recommend
that you rent portables with small speakermikes that can be clipped to
your shirt up near your mouth.  Saves continuously putting the radio
on your belt and removing it again.
				-edg