[comp.dcom.telecom] Demon Dialers

rsm@amethyst.ma.arizona.edu (Robert Maier) (08/02/88)

What are the current regulations affecting Demon Dialers(TM) and
similar devices?  I'm looking for a telephone or accessory that will
dial a number every few seconds until the call goes through, and would
like to know if I'll have to build my own.  If not, some pointers to
sources would also be appreciated.

Lest there be any misunderstanding, let me assure everyone that I do
*not* intend to harass the Rev. Jerry Falwell.  I'm just trying to get
through to US Sprint Customer Service...

Robert S. Maier   | Internet: rsm@amethyst.ma.arizona.edu
Dept. of Math.    | UUCP: ..{allegra,cmcl2,hao!noao}!arizona!amethyst!rsm
Univ. of Arizona  | Bitnet: maier@arizrvax
Tucson, AZ  85721 | Phone: +1 602 621 6893  /  +1 602 621 2617

morris@jade.jpl.nasa.gov (Mike Morris) (07/11/89)

julian@bongo.uucp (julian macassey) writes:
>(D. Stanwyck) writes:
>> (TELECOM Moderator) says:
>>
>> The reason why (at my last residence) we chose to use the
>> USWest supplied CO-based speed calling feature was the presence
>> of several (>5) separate telephones in the house.  Some telephones
>> .....edited...
>    Did you consider the Demon Dialer by Zoom Telephonics?  If you put one
>of their diallers by the protector, every phone in the house can use the
>same dialler which is controlled by the Touch Tone pad or Hook Switch
>flashes. Plus it comes with a supercap that keeps the memory alive for 7
>hours if there is a power outage. Not only can any phone in the house dial
>via a short sequence, you can store numbers that are dialled via built in
>account codes i.e. selected common carriers or phone credit card numbers
>that can be accessed during a call. Plus it will "Demon Dial", redial a busy
>number. Great for calling houses with teenagers. And yes, you can store over
>100 numbers in a Demon Dialer.

I've had one since the 1st week they were out.  The concept is great, but the
execution leaves a little to be desired.  There is no true touchtone decoder-
the custom Rockwell chip uses a zero-crossing detector and sone firmware.
There is no way to read out the data, or to clone the data into a second
unit for a second line (if my wife is on line 1, I have to grab the phone book
and _look up_ (gasp) the number and use line 2).  The last-number-dialed
memory gets zapped by an incoming call (ring voltage?).  The transformer
(wall-plug-power-cube) is buzzy - we had to move the device into the basement
as it kept my wife away when it was behind the curtain in the living room,
adjcent to the bedroom (we have a quiet house).  At the office, wiring the
unit into the 1A2 keyphone was a grade AAA bitch.

All in all, it's the only game in town for the tricks it does.  But if
somebody made one with a Mitel 8870 chip, and a bit better design, I'd
toss the three I have in a minute.  Maybe the next version will have a
RS-232 port, and some firmware that will talk to a printing terminal.

US Snail:  Mike Morris                    UUCP: Morris@Jade.JPL.NASA.gov
           P.O. Box 1130                  Also: WA6ILQ
           Arcadia, Ca. 91006-1130
#Include disclaimer.standard     | The opinions above probably do not even