[comp.dcom.telecom] While Phone Rings, Charges May Begin from LA Times

lim@csvax.caltech.edu (Kian-Tat Lim) (07/09/89)

[From the LA Times "Consumer Views" column, by Don G. Campbell, 7/7/89.
Paraphrased except for items in quotes.]

QUESTION: J. T. observes several one-minute call charges on his/her MCI phone
bill.  These were made to answering machines that answer on the fifth ring;
he/she always hung up after the third or fourth ring.

MCI first claims that J. T. would not have been charged if the machine hadn't
answered.  An MCI manager later informs the customer that "when [you] call a
number with an answering machine -- no matter how soon [you] hang up -- [you]
will be charged because the two machines have made a connection," and therefore
no reimbursement can be made.  The MCI manager also claimed that "all long-
distance companies have the same problem because of this 'connection' over
which they have no control."

AT&T told J. T. that "they charge only when a person, or a machine, actually
answered."  But J. T.'s mother has AT&T and has the same problem.

ANSWER: "Both answers [from MCI and AT&T] are perfectly valid. [...] Here's
how it works: You call a number serviced by an answering machine. [...] About
'2 to 3 seconds' *before* the ringing stops and the pause indicating that the
machine is about to respond, there is a distinct *click* on the line.  This is
described by [a Panasonic technical person] as 'a plunger in the relay making
contact with the cassette player.'  And this is when the telephone company's
meter starts running." [emphasis theirs]

Campbell tested his own machine; it exhibited the click 12 seconds after the
first ring had begun and continued ringing for 2 seconds after the click.  He
was charged for the call if he hung up after the click.

" 'I think that a lot of people have this misunderstanding,' said [an AT&T
spokesperson], 'that if they hang up while the phone is still ringing, the
call hasn't gone through.  Actually, the recording machine has been triggered
at the instant that click takes place, but in many cases the caller is in the
process of hanging up and doesn't have the phone at his ear, and so he doesn't
hear the click.' "  MCI confirms that it operates similarly.

The MCI spokesperson points out that this is *not* the same as lack of call
supervision, which caused "ring-no-answer" billing.

"Just when the telephone answering machine kicks on isn't standardized [...]
among the manufacturers."

"There's one possible moral in all this: If your timing is off and you hear the
click, you might just as well stay on the line long enough to announce
yourself."

"Because you've paid for it anyway."

--
Kian-Tat Lim (ktl@wagvax.caltech.edu, KTL @ CITCHEM.BITNET, GEnie: K.LIM1)

john@apple.com (John Higdon) (07/10/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0227m01@vector.dallas.tx.us>, lim@csvax.caltech.edu
(Kian-Tat Lim) writes:
> [From the LA Times "Consumer Views" column, by Don G. Campbell, 7/7/89.
> Paraphrased except for items in quotes.]
>
> QUESTION: J. T. observes several one-minute call charges on his/her MCI phone
> bill.  These were made to answering machines that answer on the fifth ring;
> he/she always hung up after the third or fourth ring.
>
> ANSWER: [Complete and utter nonsense about clicks and machines making
> connections before ringing stops and such.]

When you place any call, local or long distance, upon connection of the
call you hear "ringback tone". This tone is supplied by the central
office at the called end and tells you that your call was successful
and that the party's phone is ringing (as opposed to not going through
or busy).

When the called party answers, ringback tone ceases immediately and the
connection "supervises", or in older parlance, "reverses". For the
majority of carriers that handle supervision, this is when the clock
starts. It makes no difference whether a machine answers or a person
answers, one thing is certain: ringback tone ending and supervision
beginning are a simultaneous event. If the machine answers on the fifth
ring, that's when billing begins and not before.

> An MCI manager later informs the customer that "when [you] call a
> number with an answering machine -- no matter how soon [you] hang up -- [you]
> will be charged because the two machines have made a connection; therefore
> no reimbursement can be made.  The MCI manager also claimed that "all long-
> distance companies have the same problem because of this 'connection' over
> which they have no control."

Garbage! No long distance company can tell whether an answering machine
or a person answers the phone, especially before they've answered it!
My answering maching has this "cheap realtor" mode and I have *NEVER*
been charged for a call when I hung up before the [CLUNK]"Hello....".
Sounds like MCI just doesn't want to deal with THEIR problem and
particularly doesn't want to refund any money.

> AT&T told J. T. that "they charge only when a person, or a machine, actually
> answered."  But J. T.'s mother has AT&T and has the same problem.

Does J. T.'s answering machine answer then continue to deliver its own
ringback tone? I doubt it.

> " 'I think that a lot of people have this misunderstanding,' said [an AT&T
> spokesperson], 'that if they hang up while the phone is still ringing, the
> call hasn't gone through.  Actually, the recording machine has been triggered
> at the instant that click takes place, but in many cases the caller is in the
> process of hanging up and doesn't have the phone at his ear, and so he
> doesn't hear the click.' "  MCI confirms that it operates similarly.

I find it hard to believe that AT&T would spew forth this type of
rubbish. My dealings with AT&T have been most straightforward and the
technical people have been generally informed.

> The MCI spokesperson points out that this is *not* the same as lack of call
> supervision, which caused "ring-no-answer" billing.

Right. It's a nonsense explanation made up by marketing types.

> "Just when the telephone answering machine kicks on isn't standardized [...]
> among the manufacturers."

But when it answers, it answers. And not before.

> "There's one possible moral in all this: If your timing is off and you hear
> the click, you might just as well stay on the line long enough to announce
> yourself."
>
> "Because you've paid for it anyway."

If it really answers, then yes. If not, get your money back.

Actually, I had a discussion of this matter with someone at Pac*Bell.
Ms. PB said that by all rights, a subscriber should be charged for a
call made to an answering machine that answers after many rings when it
has no messages for its owner. Reason: information has been passed
(that the machine has no messages). I countered with the fact that
while the owner now knows that there are no messages, no "communication"
has occurred. It's the same as a busy or no-answer: the caller knows
that the party is on the phone or isn't home. That's information but
not communication.

Oh, well. Some cellular companies have solved the whole problem: charge
for everything, unsuccessful attempts and all!
      john@zygot.uucp       | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (07/12/89)

Further more, the ring the caller hears may have nothing to do
with the ringing the phone gets.  Calling adjacent CENTREX
extensions in my office causes me to hear the ring not in
phase with the ringing noise my phone makes.

-Ron

john@apple.com (John Higdon) (07/14/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0233m09@vector.dallas.tx.us>, ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron
Natalie) writes:
> Further more, the ring the caller hears may have nothing to do
> with the ringing the phone gets.  Calling adjacent CENTREX
> extensions in my office causes me to hear the ring not in
> phase with the ringing noise my phone makes.

Ah, that's the key. What you observe is ringback tone "out of phase"
with the ringing current on the called line. It will, however, have
identical cadance. Ringing current may actually be applied before the
first cycle of ringback tone. But it is incorrect to say that which the
caller hears has NOTHING to do with ringing current.
      john@zygot.uucp       | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !