[comp.dcom.telecom] CO Programming Error Discovered

vances@xenitec.uucp (Vance Shipley) (07/20/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0241m07@vector.dallas.tx.us> "Gil Kloepfer Jr."
<harvard!talcott!limbic!gil@eddie.mit.edu> writes:

>[Moderator's Note: Programming errors abound. For a laugh, try 312-922-4600.
>For about seventy years, that was the main number for Sears, Roebuck &
>Company at their downtown store and offices. They've been gone for years,
>and now dialing the number results in a recording, "you must dial one before
>calling this number". No matter how I dial it, with a one or not, that
>recording still comes on the line.  PT]

I once got a call back from a pbx I had recently installed, they couldn't
dial a particular NXX in a neighbouring NPA. They had automatic routing and
an 'FX' that went to the same neighbouring NPA. I checked my programming
remotely and found it entered correctly.  I tried it myself (again remotely).
the call didn't proceed when dialed with a preceeding '1'. This NXX was listed
in the phone book as belonging to a foreign exchange, one needing a leading one
(and a toll call).  The telephone company had been doing rebuild in the area
recently and twice before several trunks had been reversed, so I reported the
trouble to Bell.  What ensued was a very entertaining series of conference
calls with CO people of different levels until finally I had been handed off
to the very craftsmen who maintained the office serving this 'FX' line.  He
checked my statements and confirmed that that dialing arrangement was indeed
the programmed routing for that exchange.  It turned out that this entire
switch had been allowing seven digit dialing (and consequently no toll!)
to that one particular NXX within the same office as other 'toll' NXX's,
contrary to the published tariff's (and the phone book). I was told that it
had been that way for some matter of months.

Vance Shipley                          uucp:  ..!{uunet!}watmath!xenitec!vances
Linton Technology - SwitchView         INTERNET:            vances@egvideo.uucp
180 Columbia Street West                            (soon)  vances@xenitec.uucp
Waterloo, Ontario
CANADA                                                      tel:  (519)746-4460
N2L 3L3                                                     fax:  (519)746-6884
# "Twenty-Five pins in a D shell does not RS-232C make!"                     #