[comp.dcom.telecom] Wardialers

gwang@decwrl.dec.com (George Wang) (07/11/89)

Hi there...

I just recently saw some interesting information on the subject
of war-dialers and phone "hackers".... Supposedly there are
people who use their personal computers to "hack" out 950-XXXX
or 800 LD phone services....

I was just curious as to the reality of this and also the
circumstances involved in doing such a thing (I'm sure you'd
get into a LOT of trouble, no doubt!)... More importantly, what
have the LD phone companies been doing on this matter? It seems
that a while back someone had "hacked" my LD calling card.
No doubt I was upset, but what can the phone company do to prevent
such a thing?  With all the info here on ESS and other sophisticated
systems, do these devices provide "anti-hacking" routines??

I heard that many LD companies have a device called ANI? What
is this? Also I heard that the rapid dialing of digits by wardialers
also set off a "suspicious" activity flag.. Is this true??

I am new to this net and any information would be appreciated...
It's quite interesting to see how the phone co really works
when you make an ordinary call... Please send email to my unix
address or post here....

Thanks in advance,
George Wang
Gwang@logic.nsc.com

davef@brspyr1.brs.com (Dave Fiske) (07/14/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0231m06@vector.dallas.tx.us>, nsc!berlioz.nsc.com!
gwang@decwrl.dec.com (George Wang) writes:
> Hi there...
>
> I just recently saw some interesting information on the subject
> of war-dialers and phone "hackers".... Supposedly there are
> people who use their personal computers to "hack" out 950-XXXX
> or 800 LD phone services....
>
> I was just curious as to the reality of this and also the
> circumstances involved in doing such a thing (I'm sure you'd
> get into a LOT of trouble, no doubt!)... More importantly, what
> have the LD phone companies been doing on this matter? It seems
> that a while back someone had "hacked" my LD calling card.
> No doubt I was upset, but what can the phone company do to prevent
> such a thing?  With all the info here on ESS and other sophisticated
> systems, do these devices provide "anti-hacking" routines??

About 6 weeks ago, I was desperate to get through to a Technical
Support number for a mail-order place I had bought some computer
equipment from.  Of course the line was nearly constantly busy.
Finally, I decided I would just keep dialing the number as long as it
took, until I got through.  Since I was calling from the office, I was
using my US Sprint Fon Card.

After probably a half hour of repeatedly dialing the same busy number,
I started getting a recording that my Fon Card number was not
authorized.  By this time, I was tired of dialing anyway, so I figured
maybe it was just Sprint having a computer problem or something, so I
didn't try again till the next day.  Same thing.  So I called Sprint
Customer Service.  They cross-examined me about my address, various
details about my account, what number I had been calling and when, etc.
Once they determined that I was really the person who belonged to that
account, they said the unusually high  number of calls in such a short
period of time had triggered their security system.  Apparently Sprint
Security tried to contact me, but when I moved a couple years ago, I
forgot to tell them of the change of my home phone number.  So they
called the number they had, which, of course, has been assigned to
someone else now, and I guess they figured they had really caught a
phone hacker, and they cancelled my Fon Card.

The representative said they have no way to reinstate a cancelled card,
so they would have to give me a new number and card, which would take
two weeks.

I certainly had mixed emotions on this.  I was glad to know that Sprint
does some type of monitoring for security purposes, but it seemed like
they jumped the gun a bit--since all the calls I attempted had only
reached busy numbers, no revenue was being lost.  Plus, wouldn't it be
natural to assume that since I had kept getting busy signals, that it
really was me calling over and over again, trying to get through?
(Also, I had called this same number several times in the preceding
weeks, and gotten through--a quick check of my billing information
would have shown this.)

Having to wait two weeks to get another Fon Card is goofy, too.  It
makes the customer suffer for what was really Sprint's problem.
--
"MAN USES TAPE TO STICK              Dave Fiske  (davef@brspyr1.BRS.COM)
 HIS TOE BACK ON!"

[Moderator's Note: Mr. Fisk, you forgot to mention the article said it was
*electrical tape* he used for the repair work. But in a more serious vein,
Sprint pulls this kind of garbage all the time. They have no reluctance
to cancel accounts at will. No advance notice; no provision for immediate
restoration in the event of an error, etc. One reason some of us have
remained loyal users of AT&T over the years has been that AT&T would not
simply knock someone off the network -- completely disrupting their use
of long distance -- without advance warning whenever possible.  PT]

john@apple.com (John Higdon) (07/18/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0239m01@vector.dallas.tx.us>, davef@brspyr1.brs.com
(Dave Fiske) writes:
> After probably a half hour of repeatedly dialing the same busy number,
> I started getting a recording that my Fon Card number was not
> authorized.
> [...]
> Once they determined that I was really the person who belonged to that
> account, they said the unusually high  number of calls in such a short
> period of time had triggered their security system.

Of course, turning off authorization on suspicion of unauthorized use
doesn't make any sense, either. If Sprint really suspected that the
card had fallen into evil hands, it would be better to let a call go
through and then investigate and possibly identify the culprit.

But more important, it's this cavalier attitude that puts AT&T in a
class by itself. Phone service in this country has been reliable enough
that we have all taken it for granted. We *rely* on it. Over recent
years, Sprint, MCI, Telesphere, etc., ad nauseum, have demonstrated
that they consider telephone service in the same category as cable
television: nice when it works, but not really essential. After all, as
one Sprint rep told me once, "If it doesn't work, you can always use
AT&T."

Customers' loyalty to the "OCCs" is truly amazing. If your local
operating company took the same attitude in providing dial tone that
Sprint et al take in providing long distance service, your life and
property would be at serious risk.

Furthermore, the OCCs act as though they are doing you a favor by
completing a call. "If you play by our screwy rules, and kiss it up
just right, we'll put your call through if it's convenient." While it
may sound like commercial copy, AT&T acts as though every single call
is essential to their business.

Not a bad attitude from a company who just a few years ago was indeed
the only game in town.
      john@zygot.uucp       | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

john@gatech.edu (John DeArmond) (07/20/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0245m03@vector.dallas.tx.us> zygot!john@apple.com (John
Higdon) writes:

>But more important, it's this cavalier attitude that puts AT&T in a
>class by itself. Phone service in this country has been reliable enough
>that we have all taken it for granted. We *rely* on it. Over recent
>years, Sprint, MCI, Telesphere, etc., ad nauseum, have demonstrated
>that they consider telephone service in the same category as cable
>television: nice when it works, but not really essential. After all, as
>one Sprint rep told me once, "If it doesn't work, you can always use
>AT&T."
>
>While it
>may sound like commercial copy, AT&T acts as though every single call
>is essential to their business.

John,

I have to agree with you 100%.  I've always had a love-hate with AT&T
(Damn, they sure got mad when they caught me reselling residential
service via a homemade switch and wires strung thru ditches :-)  Before
hissoner got involved, they could be the most rude, most incosiderate,
most hateful people imaginable.  I remember being stunned the first time
I had an AT&T operator THANK me for using the service.  Or actually
having time for directory assistance.  And none of mere civilians will
ever be able to imagine what we've lost by having Bell Labs become
commercial.

On the other hand, I could call "the phone company" when I had a problem.
I didn't have to worry about whether it was in-house wiring or network
wiring.  It all got taken care of.  And I could rely absolutely on getting
a dial tone AND getting reliable long distance service merely by dialing
1+ or 0+.  No AOS, no COCOTS or any of these other cuss words.  Yeah, yeah,
rates have come down but subscriber rates, especially business have more
than risen to compensate for the small users.  Of course, big business got
the deals they always wanted.

Perhaps the solution is simply to speak with our pocketbooks.  Enough of
us should probably use sprint or mci (flush the others) so that they
can stick around and provide competition.  Other than that, let's make
AT&T "the phone company" again.  A little lobbying in congress to keep
them and the FCC out of AT&T's hair and things will be complete.

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC                     | Manual? ... What manual ?!?
Sales Technologies, Inc.    Atlanta, GA    | This is Unix, My son, You