[comp.dcom.telecom] Why can't I choose AT&T?

SKASS@drew.bitnet (07/11/89)

  I'm about to move into housing built by my employer, who owns the
switch that my phone service will be on.  According to everyone I've
asked, I will not have a choice of long distance carrier.  Access
codes won't work (I'll get a busy signal after dialing 1-0, just like
I do now from my work phone), and the local company (NJ Bell) says
they can't install a phone for me.
  I'll be renting, but some of the housing units will be sold, and the
buyers are in the same situation.  Now it's not such a bad deal - free
basic service and local calls (a smaller "local" area than NJ Bell),
but long distance calls are carried by MCI, and I would do better with
AT&T (I subscribe to Reach Out, America and use USprint for nearby
calls when the AT&T flat rate is in effect).  Maybe MCI has some
options like Reach Out, America, but they aren't available to me.
  What's the legality of all this?  Can I get a calling card from
anyone at all?  Can I use an 800 number for any of my long distance
calls, bypassing MCI?
  Thanks,

Steve Kass/Department of Mathematics and Computer Science/Drew University
Madison, NJ  07940 / (201)-408-3614 / skass@drew.bitnet

johnw@gatech.edu (John Wheeler) (07/15/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0231m05@vector.dallas.tx.us> SKASS@drew.bitnet writes:

>  I'm about to move into housing built by my employer, who owns the
>switch that my phone service will be on.  According to everyone I've
>asked, I will not have a choice of long distance carrier.  Access
>codes won't work (I'll get a busy signal after dialing 1-0, just like
>I do now from my work phone), and the local company (NJ Bell) says
>they can't install a phone for me.

The apartment complex I live in has the same sort of arrangement. Instead
of a Southern Bell line, my service comes from a company called Star*Touch,
and they have an agreement with Telecom*USA (all these stars!). The switch
simply dials an access number, pops in the appropriate access code, and
you have long distance service. They simply have no way of accounting
for any other carriers than the one they provide. You, as a user never
get a REAL Southern Bell dialtone (even though they actually provide the
lines) so you have no way of dialing 10+ codes. Of course you can
use the surcharged Travel Card 800 numbers...
--
		  Turner                                       John Wheeler
     E N T E R T A I N M E N T     ...!gatech!nanovx!techwood!johnw

john@apple.com (John Higdon) (07/18/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0239m06@vector.dallas.tx.us>, techwood!johnw@gatech.edu
(John Wheeler) writes:
> The apartment complex I live in has the same sort of arrangement. Instead
> of a Southern Bell line, my service comes from a company called Star*Touch,
> and they have an agreement with Telecom*USA (all these stars!). The switch

Is all this for real? It sounds like the plot of a scary, futuristic
movie. It almost seems that what Judge Greene does with one hand is
undone with the other. Divestiture was supposedly going to enhance
competition, improved service offerings, and create a healthy business
climate for telecommunications.

So instead what we have is an apartment complex owner linking up with
some get-rich-quick scam operation to deny residents the opportunity of
choosing their long distance carrier, deprive them of having local
operating company special services, and effectively cut them off from
the outside world.

So if Star*Touch charges the normal monthly local service rate, they
make tons of profit, since they will only be paying for a fraction of
the number of trunks compared to the number of subscribers they will be
serving. And so if a resident can't call out because all trunks are
busy, who cares? He has no choice. Where's he gonna go?

And what about the resident who wants ten lines? I sure hope this bad
idea never catches on!
      john@zygot.uucp       | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

mcb@ncis.tis.llnl.gov (Michael C. Berch) (07/18/89)

SKASS@drew.bitnet writes:
>   I'm about to move into housing built by my employer, who owns the
> switch that my phone service will be on.  According to everyone I've
> asked, I will not have a choice of long distance carrier.  Access
> codes won't work (I'll get a busy signal after dialing 1-0, just like
> I do now from my work phone), and the local company (NJ Bell) says
> they can't install a phone for me.

Hmmm. Isn't there some sort of tariff that requires RBOCs not to
refuse to install residential service in various places where it might
be more expensive than the normal installation?  What grounds does NJ
Bell give for refusing to install normal service?

This sounds like a pretty poor deal; I would have to be *very*
satisfied with my employer to agree to something like this, since it
sounds like the potential to screw the consumer is very high.

What sort of housing is this?  I assume it isn't a military base or
other government reservation, since it was mentioned that some units will
be sold, but it sounds rather unusual.  Even student/faculty housing on
most campuses does not have this problem.

--
Michael C. Berch
mcb@tis.llnl.gov / uunet!tis.llnl.gov!mcb

[Moderator's Note: There is indeed a tariff which says the local Bell cannot
refuse to provide service to any QUALIFIED subscriber. A qualified subscriber
is any person who has exhibited an *ability* and *willingness* to pay for
the service. The correspondent should contact the local telco office, and
order service. He'll need to meet any reasonable credit requirements they
may impose. If telco says they will not install service, then he should
immediatly ask to speak with the manager. He should advise the manager that
he does not wish to be placed in a position where he must appeal to the
Chairman's Office, but he will do so if the manager is unable to arrange
the installation promptly. The next step would be to appeal to the Chairman,
then file a formal complaint with the appropriate utility regulators. They
know the rules, as does the Chairman and most likely the manager. He will
wind up getting local service from the telco; from there, getting AT&T on
the line is a breeze.

Actually, when his complaint hits the regulators, he will get a call back
from the Chairman's office. In truth, it will be a highly placed flunkie
authorized to respond in the Chairman's name. He'll get his service.  PT]

johnl@uunet.uu.net (John Limpert) (07/20/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0243m03@vector.dallas.tx.us> zygot!john@apple.com
(John Higdon) writes:
>So instead what we have is an apartment complex owner linking up with
>some get-rich-quick scam operation to deny residents the opportunity of
>choosing their long distance carrier, deprive them of having local
>operating company special services, and effectively cut them off from
>the outside world.

I am in a similar situation with cable TV service.  The apartment complex
owner supplies a poor quality, overpriced service that uses a microwave
distribution system instead of the "official" county cable system.  I was
told that the building owner solicited bids from a number of companies (~6)
and picked the best offer.  Are phone companies and cable companies
both considered common carriers?  I would be interested in any information
on the legal aspects of this situation.  Does the owner have the right to
only grant access to those companies who give him the best kickbacks?

--
John Limpert		johnl@gronk.UUCP	uunet!n3dmc!gronk!johnl

ELINSKY%YKTVMX.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Jay Elinsky) (07/20/89)

The moderator describes how to convince the local Bell company to install
regular phone service in an employer-built housing complex.  But doesn't
the phone company need the housing complex's permission to run wires or to
use the existing wires?  Do they have to give permission?

                                       Jay Elinsky
                                       IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
                                       Yorktown Heights, NY

[Moderator's Note: Telephone companies have easement rights, permitting
them to cross your property with their wires, etc. Likewise, here in
Illinois, cable companies have easement rights; that is, a landlord cannot
prohibit a cable company from providing service to an individual tenant.
Here in Chicago however, cable firms as well as telco have a monopoly
status granted to them based on neighborhood.   PT]