[comp.dcom.telecom] Local Area Calls in New Hampshire

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (07/13/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0232m11@vector.dallas.tx.us> John Wheeler <techwood!
johnw@gatech.edu> writes:
|We do not, and never have had metered service here in Atlanta,
|discussably (which we have done on here) the largest local
|calling area. How many other major cities still are unmetered?

Nashua, the second largest city in New Hampshire, and its surrounding
towns do not have metered service.  I believe the same is true of
Manchester, the largest city, though I don't recall having read the
relevant parts of the Manchester white pages.  This means that
(probably) the entire state of New Hampshire is free of measured
service (for residents-- I'm not sure about business service).

Of course, I don't know if any of the above (or all of it) qualifies
as a "major city".  :-)

	/JBL
=
UUCP:     levin@bbn.com (new) or {backbone}!bbn!levin (old)
INTERNET: levin@bbn.com       		POTS: (617) 873-3463
   "Earn more sessions by sleeving."

r4@cbnews.att.com (richard.r.grady..jr) (07/19/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0238m06@vector.dallas.tx.us> Joel B Levin <levin@bbn.
com> writes:
>  [...]
>Nashua, the second largest city in New Hampshire, and its surrounding
>towns do not have metered service.  I believe the same is true of
>Manchester, the largest city, though I don't recall having read the
>relevant parts of the Manchester white pages.  This means that
>(probably) the entire state of New Hampshire is free of measured
>service (for residents-- I'm not sure about business service).
>  [...]

I live in Salem, NH, which is next-door, exchange-wise, from Nashua
(There are two intervening towns, but Nashua serves Hudson, and Salem
serves Windham), and with-in the local dialing area of Nashua.
For the last 15 years in Salem (ever since they replaced the SXS switch
with ESS), residential phones have a choice of unlimited or metered
local service.

I don't have the numbers in front of me, so the following may by slightly
inaccurate, but the dollar values are approximately right.
Unlimited costs ~$12/month.  Metered costs ~$5/month, and includes 50
message units (increments of 5-minutes).

I chose metered, because I make very few local calls [ but you should see
my long-distance bills :-) ]; I have never gone over the initial 50 units.
A few years (and a couple of rate changes) ago, the break-even point
was about 125 message units.

Business local service is metered only.

Dick Grady               r4@mvuxd.att.com          ...!att!mvuxd!r4

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (07/21/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0238m06@vector.dallas.tx.us>  I wrote:
|Nashua, the second largest city in New Hampshire, and its surrounding
|towns do not have metered service. . . .

Aaargh! I was looking through the phone book (to see how to get
up-to-date neighboring area phone books), and found I had lied!  We do
indeed have metered service:

  $5.04/month plus $.161/per msg unit after 30;

  $5.04/month plus usage charges below (includes $1.50 usage allowance);

  $6.75/month plus usage charges below (includes $4.00 usage allowance).

  Usage charges for last two plans are:
    $.04/call plus $.03/minute (own and adjacent exchanges)
    $.05/call plus $.04/minute (other local calls)
    50% discount evenings nights and weekends.

  Message unit for first plan above is for 5 minutes.

  Unlimited local service: ~$15/month.

I screwed that one up.  Sorry.

	/JBL
=