[comp.dcom.telecom] Residence PBX Service

dave@rutgers.edu (Dave Levenson) (07/17/89)

A few articles back, we were asked about what might be described as
Residence PBX service.  The poster asked about connecting six
telephone sets to one CO line, providing intercom, conference
calling, and similar PBX features.  The poster also asked if it
could be done for the price of a VCR (a couple of hundred $ ?).

Residential Centrex (aka StarLine) service was suggested.  This is
probably less expensive than a VCR, but requires six pair from the
CO.  What do they charge for the installation?  How many months of
the service can one buy for the price of a VCR?

Another option is the residential PBX.  Mitel makes (or at least,
made) a small switch called the SX-5.  This supports six tip-ring
stations, two CO trunks, and offers the usual PBX features.  It
allows locally-stored speed-dial, conference calling,
call-forwarding, universal answering, selective ringing, call hold,
call transfer, call-waiting, and data security.

As is usually the case with the premises-based vs CO-based
comparison, the better price depends upon how long you intend to use
the service.  The Mitel SX-5 used to sell for about $700 or almost
three times the price of a VCR.  But you only buy it once.  No
extra monthly charge for its use.  You maintain it.  You own it (and
can sell it, perhaps).  We use one here to connect a bunch of
computers.  We have five modems on two CO lines.

Key systems are also available.  The central switch is less
expensive than a PBX, but the telephone sets are not standard
tip-ring, and tend to cost more.

Not a definitive answer, but perhaps a few points for consideration.

--
Dave Levenson                Voice: (201) 647 0900
Westmark, Inc.               Internet: dave@westmark.uu.net

vances@xenitec.uucp (Vance Shipley) (07/21/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0241m01@vector.dallas.tx.us> westmark!dave@rutgers.edu
(Dave Levenson) writes:

>Another option is the residential PBX.  Mitel makes (or at least,
>made) a small switch called the SX-5.  This supports six tip-ring
>stations, two CO trunks, and offers the usual PBX features.  It
>allows locally-stored speed-dial, conference calling,
>call-forwarding, universal answering, selective ringing, call hold,
>call transfer, call-waiting, and data security.

Does this switch allow an incoming CO call to ring _all_ extensions?  This was
the reason I abandoned my 'residential' pbx (a Seimens Venus). Night bells and
call pickup don't go over well in a house.

Vance Shipley                          uucp:  ..!{uunet!}watmath!xenitec!vances
Linton Technology - SwitchView         INTERNET:            vances@egvideo.uucp

[Moderator's Note: The small PBX I've always thought ideal for home use
is the Melco 212. This unit has two trunk lines and 12 extensions, with
various PBX features. Two extensions ring by default for the two trunks,
but 'call forwarding' allows the trunks to ring on whatever two extensions
you designate. There is common audible of course, and universal pickup by
dialing '7'. I used one of these for about three years before I got my
Starline installation.   PT]