[comp.dcom.telecom] Long Distance Connection Quality

eli@eecs.nwu.edu (06/12/89)

Gregg Siegfried posts an obligatory flame at Dell Ellison because Dell
pointed out that he and his friends perceive that US Sprint's long
distance connections are the best in the business.  "Oh no!  You're
not in town, are you?"

I don't think people have to "refrain from this in the future".  Instead,
it would be useful if people posted the cities between which they notice
excellent (or bad) service with different carriers.  I often try different
carriers when I call friends in NYC and the West Coast.  Sprint always
has the best connections to my (admittedly damaged) ears.  ATT always
seems to have more static and less overall volume.  MCI and ITT are so
poor that I usually redial the call through US Sprint.

Ellison's friends' reactions fit well with what I learned in my years
working in the voice messaging industry.  Perceived quality is largely
dependent on VOLUME, VOLUME, VOLUME!!!  US Sprint is the loudest long
distance carrier (double entendre?).  A recent (Byte?) magazine article
rated long distance carriers for modem connections.  ATT won, but Sprint
ran a close second, with Sprint being given the highest marks for loudness.

-- Steve Elias
-- eli@spdcc.com, eli@chipcom.com   [mail to chipcom.chipcom.com bounces!]
-- voice mail: 617 859 1389
-- work phone: 617 890 6844

chip@vector.dallas.tx.us (Chip Rosenthal) (07/22/89)

chipcom.chipcom.com!eli@eecs.nwu.edu writes:
>A recent (Byte?) magazine article rated long distance carriers for modem
>connections.  ATT won, but Sprint ran a close second, with Sprint being
>given the highest marks for loudness.

I don't know if Byte did one, but the April 25th |Data Communications|
definately did have such a comparison for V.32 modems.  Please see TELECOM
issue 172 for a summary of this article.  Even if Byte did one, I'm not
sure it would be worth anything.  I bet most Byte editors think BERT is
a snazzy new pop-up utility...
--
Chip Rosenthal / chip@vector.Dallas.TX.US / Dallas Semiconductor / 214-450-5337
"I wish you'd put that starvation box down and go to bed" - Albert Collins' Mom