[comp.dcom.telecom] Number of devices on 1 line?

nobody@cs.buffalo.edu (06/06/89)

How many devices can a single residential line support? At the moment I have 4
telephones, 1 answering machine, and 1 modem on the line. I am about to
add a second modem and another phone. Is this "safe", and will it work?

Thanx.
Davin.
Davin Milun    Internet:  milun@cs.Buffalo.EDU
               uucp:      ..!{boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!milun
               BITNET:    milun@sunybcs.BITNET

john@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (John Higdon) (06/08/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0188m03@vector.dallas.tx.us>, nobody@cs.buffalo.edu
writes:
> How many devices can a single residential line support? At the moment I have
> 4  telephones, 1 answering machine, and 1 modem on the line. I am about to
> add a second modem and another phone. Is this "safe", and will it work?

The limiting factor involved when adding devices to a telephone line is
simply the number of ringers (or more precisely, ringer equivalence) on
the line. When a device is "on hook", it presents no load to the line
other than its ringer. If the device has no ringer (or its ringer
equivalence is "0.0") it is totally invisible unless you take it off
hook.

If memory serves, I believe the maximum REN (Ringer Equivalence Number)
allowed on a 1/1A ESS is 8. Higher than this, the CO will withhold ring
current and you will never know anyone is calling you. This has
actually happened to me and it was very embarassing when I turned in
the trouble call. They told me I had too much stuff on the line.

Add up all the RENs on your devices on any one line and if it's less
than 8, you are probably OK.
      john@zygot.uucp       | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

dave@rutgers.edu (Dave Levenson) (06/09/89)

writes:
> How many devices can a single residential line support? At the moment I have
> 4  telephones, 1 answering machine, and 1 modem on the line. I am about to
> add a second modem and another phone. Is this "safe", and will it work?

What you must do is add up the ringer equivalence numbers of the various
devices you wish to connect.  The maximum total REN for a given subscriber line
depends upon the serving central office, and on the length of the loop.  Your
telco probably has the information, but it may be difficult to speak with the
right person.  Bellcore publication PUB61100 "Description of Analog Voiceband
Interface Between the Bell System Local Exchange Lines and Terminal Equipment"
is the definitive technical reference for this sort of thing.

--
Dave Levenson
Westmark, Inc.               dave@westmark.uu.net

len@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Leonard P Levine) (06/10/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0191m03@vector.dallas.tx.us>,
by decvax!decwrl!apple!zygot!john@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
(John Higdon) writes:

> If memory serves, I believe the maximum REN (Ringer Equivalence Number)
> allowed on a 1/1A ESS is 8. Higher than this, the CO will withhold ring
> current and you will never know anyone is calling you.

Does this mean that I can surpress the ringing of my home phones when I
want to just by increasing the number of equivalent ringers?

If so, that would be very useful at times.

+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - +
| Leonard P. Levine               e-mail len@evax.milw.wisc.edu |
| Professor, Computer Science             Office (414) 229-5170 |
| University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee       Home   (414) 962-4719 |
| Milwaukee, WI 53201 U.S.A.              Modem  (414) 962-6228 |
+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - +

[Moderator's Note: I think this would be an *awful* way to go about what
you want to accomplish. It's like saying can I turn out the lights before
I go to bed at night by short-circuiting the fuse box in the basement? Yes,
of course you can. Why not regular off/on switches instead?  PT]

d.m.p.@pro-party.cts.com (Don Peaslee) (06/11/89)

writes:
> How many devices can a single residential line support? At the moment I have
> 4  telephones, 1 answering machine, and 1 modem on the line. I am about to
> add a second modem and another phone. Is this "safe", and will it work?

I can give you an admittedly non-technical answer.  I have 6 phones, 2 modems,
and an answering machine all on one line and have no problem whatsoever.  I'd
bet that several more devices could be installed prior to my having any
problems.  You should be fine for the next couple of additions.

Don

goldstein%delni.DEC@decwrl.dec.com (Fred R. Goldstein dtn226-7388) (06/12/89)

If I recall my Part 68 correctly, the rule on Ringer Equivalence
Numbers is that all devices must not have a combined REN greater
than 5.  Not 6 or 8 as previously reported.

This is the standard that all CO switches are built to.  Some may
actually support more, but the telco is obligated normally to allow
up to 5 REN total, and that's what they're now built for.

REN of 1 comes from the traditional electromechanical ringer, but
not even all of them are equal to 1.  I have a Northern Telecom
deskset (1986 Link model) with a real bell (not a fire alarm chirper)
with an REN of 0.8A, which is typical of modern equipment.  Some modems
and answering machines, which don't need to really ring, have RENs
in the 0.1 range.

A friend had trouble in her apartment, with phones not being audible,
and it turned out to be an REN violation.  The answering machine
was something like 1.2, and there were four other phones...  Unplugging
any one device made them all ring, but with the REN overload, the
ring voltage fell too low for them all to ring.  SOme devices rang,
but were anemic, while others didn't ring at all.  Yes, it's a violation
of telco rules to overload your line.  If you really need to have more
bells, you should get an external bell relay.
        fred

cowan@marob.masa.com (John Cowan) (06/13/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0191m04@vector.dallas.tx.us> westmark!dave@rutgers.edu
(Dave Levenson) writes:
>In article <telecom-v09i0188m03@vector.dallas.tx.us>, nobody@cs.buffalo.edu
>writes:
>> How many devices can a single residential line support? At the moment I have
>> 4  telephones, 1 answering machine, and 1 modem on the line. I am about to
>> add a second modem and another phone. Is this "safe", and will it work?

>What you must do is add up the ringer equivalence numbers of the various
>devices you wish to connect. The maximum total REN for a given subscriber line

The backward compatible maximum REN across the entire old-AT&T (BOC) system
is supposed to be 5.  So a maximum total REN of 5 should work on any
private line anywhere, except perhaps one served by a Very Local Telco
that hasn't upgraded since 1953.  :-)  But don't make assumptions:  the
local telco at my summer home, Taconic Telephone, is now one of the few
all-digital telcos in the country!

Fascist inews!
Fascist inews!
Fascist inews!
Fascist inews!
--
John Cowan <cowan@marob.masa.com> or <cowan@magpie.masa.com>
UUCP mailers:  ...!uunet!hombre!{marob,magpie}!cowan

chip@vector.dallas.tx.us (Chip Rosenthal) (06/14/89)

goldstein%delni.DEC@decwrl.dec.com (Fred R. Goldstein dtn226-7388) writes:

>If I recall my Part 68 correctly, the rule on Ringer Equivalence
>Numbers is that all devices must not have a combined REN greater than 5.

Bingo!  It's in subpart D.  My Part 68 compilation says:

    "All registered terminal equipment and registered protective circuitry
    which can affect on-hook impedance shall be assigned a Ringer
    Equivalence.  The sum of all such ringer equivalences on a given
    telephone line or loop shall not exceed 5 [...]"

The rules and conditions for determining REN look pretty hairy.  But
you can say that about Part 68 in general.

I remember way-back-when the story that the telco would sometimes check
the impedance of the line through the house, calculate the ringer
equivalence, and determine if you had illegal phones.  I don't know if
this was true, but just the same we had several phones with disconnected
ringers in our house.  (Omigosh.  I hope the statute of limitations has
run out :-)
--
Chip Rosenthal / chip@vector.Dallas.TX.US / Dallas Semiconductor / 214-450-5337
"I wish you'd put that starvation box down and go to bed" - Albert Collins' Mom

pbreslin@alias.UUCP (Paul Breslin) (06/15/89)

If one has several old rotary dial phones and an old hand-me-down answering
machine (all of untraceable origin) and an old 1200 baud modem (usually left
powered off), how does one determine the REN number? Can I measure each
device with an ohm meter or something? (I suspect many people have similar
collections of junk plugged into their phone jacks.)

pbreslin@alias.uucp (Paul Breslin) (07/22/89)

If one has several old rotary dial phones and an old hand-me-down answering
machine (all of untraceable origin) and an old 1200 baud modem (usually left
powered off), how does one determine the REN number? Can I measure each
device with an ohm meter or something? (I suspect many people have similar
collections of junk plugged into their phone jacks.)

[Moderator's Note: Without going to the trouble of measuring each one, I
think you are safe in assuming one old phone equals one REN. Years ago we
were told by telco don't put more than four extension phones on the line.
The answering machine probably counts for a about half a REN. Three or
four phones, an answering machine and a modem should get along okay. At
home I have three extensions and a modem on one line; three extensions and
and answering machine on the other line.  PT]