[comp.dcom.telecom] Phone line surge protection

geek%mit-amt.media.mit.edu@eecs.nwu.edu (Chris Schmandt) (07/18/89)

Well, as long as we're on the topic of surge protection and lightening
arresters...   Several postings have painted a pretty bleak picture
on the probability of my gear surviving a strike on the phone line,
which is claimed to be not that uncommon an event.  So, can anyone
suggest a reasonable approach to protection (i.e., a product?) and
any evidence that it will work?

With surge protectors on my power lines, I now feel a bit like
Ben Franklin dangling those phone wires out of my house during
our summer thunderstorm season.

chris

john@uunet.uu.net (John Gayman) (07/25/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0242m05@vector.dallas.tx.us>, mit-amt!geek%mit-amt.
media.mit.edu@eecs.nwu.edu (Chris Schmandt) writes:
> Well, as long as we're on the topic of surge protection and lightening
> arresters...   Several postings have painted a pretty bleak picture
> on the probability of my gear surviving a strike on the phone line,
> which is claimed to be not that uncommon an event.  So, can anyone
> suggest a reasonable approach to protection (i.e., a product?) and
> any evidence that it will work?

   Tripp-lite (sp) makes a very nice modular surge suppressor. It is a
small box with a female RJ-11 recepticle and a male RJ-11 on a short
pigtail. It also has a threaded post to which you hook earth ground.
These do not appear to be the cheapy MOV-type of suppressors. They
have avalanche diodes, gas dis-charge tubes and MOVs. I have them on
both my lines and well.......for the past 3 years.......welll.....
no problem yet. :-)  It's like putting flat-proof in your tires, does
it work ?  One things for sure, they do *not* degradate the lines at
all. I've found quite a spread price-wise. The same unit going from
$69.00 locally to $27 mail-order. Hope this helps.

						John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: john@wa3wbu.uu.net