[comp.dcom.telecom] Telephone Service in Denmark

lars@salt.acc.com (Lars J Poulsen) (07/26/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0253m03@vector.dallas.tx.us> dan@sics.se
(Dan Sahlin) writes about numbering plan changes in Sweden and says:

>For some reason, I find it much harder to remember an 8-digit number
>than a 7 digit number, so I don't like those plans at all.

Amen !! When I first moved from Denmark where the numbers were 6-digit,
(written as "64 46 05") I at first found it hard to memorize 7-digit
numbers (here written as "682-2272"). I still need to write them down
(can't remember them for the 2 minutes it takes from a directory
assistance call to the time I'm ready to dial) but local numbers are
easier because of the limited number of prefixes I mostly deal with.
And the universal (3)+3+4 format aids in recognizing incomplete numbers.
I would really hate variable length numbers with up to 8 digits as is now
planned for Stockholm.

>I've read that Paris and Denmark have already changed into 8 digit numbers,
>and that Norway is planning to do the same.

Denmark is served by 4 telephone companies:
- The eastern part of the country is served by KTAS, the Copenhagen
  telephone company. This is a common stock company but the controlling
  interest is held by various local governments (cities and counties).
  Thus, traditionally, is has exhibited the worst traits of
  bureaucratic governments and exploitative monopoly businesses.
- The Jylland (Jutland) mainland is served by JTAS, the Jutland
  telephone company. This common stock company has always been very well
  managed, on the leading edge of technology and eager to pursue joint
  development efforts with telephone equipment manufacturers in their
  area (such as Kirk, now a division of Alcatel and Bang and Olufsen).
  The excellent service of JTAS was a welcome surprise for Copenhageners
  that moved west. In recent years, JTAS has moved agressively into
  cable television.
- The island of Fyn (Funen) is served by FKTS, the Funen Municipal
  Telephone Company. This is a non-profit partnership between the local
  governments in the area and traditionally provided service somewhere
  between the level of the two larger companies.
- The southern part of Jutland (under German rule from 1864-1920) as
  well as a few smaller islands and all long-distance service
  (international as well as between the above service areas) is handled
  by "Rigstelefonen", a division of the Post and Telegraph bureau of the
  ministry of public works.

With the implementation of automatic dialing in the 1950's and 1960's,
telephone numbers were standardized to 7 digits for a full number.  In
the Jutland areas, the number was divided into a two-digit area code
(not dialed for calls within area; prefixed with 0 for calls out of
area) and a 5-digit number; in the other service areas, a single-digit
area code was followed by a 6-digit number. In the late 1960's the
Jutland numbers were reassigned to match the 1+6 plan. I believe this
was done in order to make numbers that were unused in some of the
smaller areas available for new prefixes in the faster-growing Aarhus
area. In the 1970's Copenhagen went through an area code split; the
suburban ring of the old (01) area along with the adjoining strip of the
old (03) area was turned into a new (02) area. This must have been
planned long in advance, because it could be done without reassigning
any prefixes.

In early 1988 a switch to 8-digit number was announced. At first, the
change consisted of ALWAYS DIALING THE AREA CODE, including the 0.
In May 1989 the second part took effect: The 0 was replaced by new
digits. Most numbers had predictable substitutions, (01 -> 31, 02 ->
42, 03 -> 53 etc.) and I think incoming calls (from overseas) to old
numbers are still processed.

My initial reaction to this reassignment was totally negative. I thought
they could have freed up enough numbers simply by going to US-style
7-digit numbers, but after seeing how many additional numbers seem to be
used up by FAXes and modems these days, I can see why they felt they
needed more numbers. The alternative of adding more area codes (going back
to 2-digit area codes) would have forced the trauma of simultaneous area
code splits on the whole country.

Dan Sahlin also suggests a universal "international selector" prefix.
While this is a great idea, it would lead to much reassignment because
everybody already is using the high-visibility escape sequences. I agree
that "00" would be a good choice. In Denmark, 00 is used for "special
services"; 0033 is directory assistance; 0034 is number-to-address
lookup; 0051 is headline news; 0052 is sports news; 0053 is weather;
0055 is time; 0014 through 0019 are various overseas operators; 009 is
international dial-it-yourself (I hope I remebered these right, it's
been a few years). I suspect that Denmark may be preparing for 00
dialing, though, because before the recent reallocation these seemed to
be available via 9900xx as well as via 00xx.

/ Lars Poulsen <lars@salt.acc.com>   (800) 222-7308  or (805) 963-9431 ext 358
  ACC Customer Service              Affiliation stated for identification only
                My employer probably would not agree if he knew what I said !!